Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes doesn't run

iTunes doesn't run
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 07:25 AM

I recently upgraded to Mac OS 9.0.4 to run iTunes. iTunes installed properly but does not run. I have a rev D iMac with 192 Meg RAM. Is ther something that I am missing?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 07:43 AM

No, you did everything ok, you should turn off almost all of the itunes sextensions in the extensions manager. I had the same thing on my G4 running 9.1. When I would run the program, it would just stop, it wouldn't fully start. So I turned off almost all of the extensions and that made it so that it would run.

Jan 17, 2001, 09:12 AM

One of my machines is a UMAX S900 w/Sonnet G3 350 upgrade in it. iTunes installed properly but won't start up all the way. The program executes and then just stops. The machine is running 9.0.4 and I don't want to upgrade to 9.1 because I'm not sure if the Sonnet driver will work with it. Actually, I'm using XLR8's driver because it seems to work much better, but nonetheless....

------------------

send2tjp
Jan 17, 2001, 08:24 PM

(for those using a Umax Scanner)

I too downloaded iTunes, tried to run it, only to have to force quit. It would not run. I read the below note from MacHome's Mac Tips. I took my Umax control strip module out of the Control Strip Modules folder, rebooted, and now iTunes works fine.

TROUBLE SPOT:
iTunes and Umax Scanners: Removing the Umac control strip module solves this problem.

Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2001, 12:21 PM

Ok here is what you should do make sure you have all the firmware updates ok? make sure everything is updated, now in your description you should of listed if you had any third party hardware, because iTunes is very specific about working with other extensions on, it is very specific because it wants to make sure to have the best preformance it can get.

Ok so what happens next, make sure also when you did the updgrade did you do a clean install, which just uses 9.0.4 sometimes the systems get confused. Also make sure the iTunes extension loads when you see the startup screen. To be more sure I would upgrade to 9.1 because it says that they should have the 9.1 to run it.

Hope it Helps,
--Guillermo

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2001, 05:27 PM

well... itunes...
i was quite happy with it, and then it trashed my disk.
i got the dreaded flashing question mark today, and since itunes is the only thing i've installed in a week, i knew it to be the culprit.
sure enough, boot from cd, trash all everything it had installed (not a small amount of stuff, mind you) and i'm back in the running.
frustrating. i think it was a conflict w/ toast, but i'm not really sure.

i think i'm going to wait till itunes supports my cdrw and then just trash toast for good.
i hate toast.

come on apple put out those plugins!

a disgruntled but relaxing poocat.

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Jan 19, 2001, 12:39 AM

well, no matter what I do (short of a total reinstall I think...) I can't get the iTunes extension to load without it showing that nice red 'X' through it during startup. Sugestions anyone? This is a brand new G4 DP 450.

BTW - Iomega's extension loads the exact same way. Disk Warriors used to do it but i uninstalled it because it wasn't working without the extension.

------------------

Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2001, 12:50 AM

I don't have the new PMG4 so I don't know about burning with iTunes, but with every external device I have (USB Zip drive, FW Qué burner, Epson scanner on a SCSI card) the relevant extension (Iomega driver, Toast stuff, Epson stuff) gets a fat red X over it at startup, and this does not in any way interfere with anything. I can still use all software as I would like. does the iTunes extension not loading actually prevent you from burning with iTunes?

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Jan 19, 2001, 12:43 PM

The app opens and functions just fine even with a big 'X' on the extension. My ZIP drive is USB and it works fine, too. Silly extensions...TRIX are for kids!

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules