Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AppleScript question

AppleScript question
Senior User
Jan 16, 2001, 10:48 AM
I've never used Applescript nor do I know how to, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a way I could create a script or macro that would continually refresh a webpage (thus I wouldn't have to sit around and continually refresh the page). Then, I'd also like to know if there is a way to have it stop refreshing when the page is updated (changes).

I'm about 90% certain that there is a way to do this, I imagine it would require knowing how to use applescript though. Can anyone tell me if I am correct and how to do this?

Thank you.

I can be emailed at NDBounce@hotmail.com
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 04:01 PM
IE is scriptable, but it's script dictionary doesn't appear to support the refresh command. It would be possible, however, to tell IE to go to a URL, wait a set amount of time, close the window, and then open the URL again.

I'm not keen on writing scripts, but there are lots of good, easy tutorials available on the web. Could probably get a handle on AppleScript in a day or two.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 05:03 PM
What would be a good book on apple script?

or do you have some URLs you could reccommend for learning apple script.
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 10:47 PM
Well, I can help you with the first part:

property URL1 : "http:/www.webpagetoopen.com"

tell application "Internet Explorer"
OpenURL URL1 toWindow 0
delay 20
delay 20
end tell

This will open the desired URL every 20 seconds, 2 times, accomplishing the same as a refresh. Substitute your own delays and number of repetitions as you see fit. Now checking for a modification.... beyond my AppleScript talents.

Hit www.Apple.com/applescript, and start doing the tutorials there.
Forum Links
Forum Rules