Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installed 9.1 and power light went out

Installed 9.1 and power light went out
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 07:53 PM

I booted off of the 9.0.4 Install CD. Installed 9.1 from the download. When it completed, I rebooted off the hard disk. Part way through booting up, the computer shut itself off. I pressed the power button to turn it back on and it did. However, the white power light first came on and then a second later faded out, as did the light on the Cinema Display. Even though both lights were off, the computer still turned on and the display still lit. I shut down the computer and tried it again. The same thing happened. However, this time I hit the power button a second time just after it faded out and this time it stayed lit. So far everything seems to be ok. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I have a G4 dual processor 500MHz with Radeon. 576MB memory.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2001, 10:23 PM

Same thing with my cube. The first time I rebooted into 9.1 after installing it last night, the power lights went out at some point during the start-up- I didn't notice exactly when. (they came on initially & I didn't notice them go out- so it must have been a couple minutes, anyway) When the computer put itself to sleep, I thought it had spontaniously shut down, but it spun back up as soon as I hit the spacebar. I shut it down, and restarted, and now the lights have been fine through several more sleeps and restarts.

Mistifying, but apparently harmless.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Jan 17, 2001, 12:56 AM

Same here. I have a Dual 500 with Radeon. I started freaking out. Anyways I got a little more drastic than you guys. My computer also didn't restart like it was supposed to it just shutdown. Then when I rebooted it the light didn't work and it booted for a few seconds then cut off. It was touch and go for awhile. I thought it would never boot again. I Reset the MOBO first then when that didn't do it I pulled the power and poped the case. I restored power and still no light so I remove the housing for the light and power switch. The LED glowed so I put the housing back in place. LED went out. I repeated the steps with a couple more restarts and when I put the LED housing back in again it stayed lit.

ichou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 01:58 AM

So far the computer seems to be stable. No recurrence of the anomalies. Everything else seems to be operating correctly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules