Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes - Missing Features List

iTunes - Missing Features List
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 09:09 PM

I searched the fora and couldn't find a thread discussing the missing features in iTunes, and since it's been bugging me, i'll start listing my favorite features.

1) No EQ. This is a no brainer.
2) No "Record from Sound Input." I use it a lot, it's the one reason I haven't trashed SoundJam
3) No subfolders allowed inside playlists. So much for dual-CD albums.
4) no MP3 to AIFF encoding.

Any others?

Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2001, 11:01 PM

Ditto about the EQ.
I like Alarm Clock/Sleep Timer from SoundJam.
I never use Record from Sound Input, but I can see its use for lots of people.

I don't see why it should convert MP3 --> AIFF. It's an MP3 thing. It can convert from CD to AIFF, but if you convert from MP3 to AIFF then the quality is lost and AIFF is pointless. If it's just about the format, then use SoundApp. It's free and it's so good. So good.

I don't think that subfolder thing is necessary. Makes it unnecessarily complex. You can just have all the songs in one playlist without division. They really only split it into two CDs because there are too many songs to fit on one, so it's not like there's a natural division.

I think iTunes should be skinnable, and I bet that with the advent of QT 5 and Media Skins (those are crazy -- check out their material on that, it's very cool) iTunes will be skinnable. Although I really like the interface, it's nice and clean.

That's it for me, but here are some neat features I found in iTunes:

-- I don't know if you could do this in SJ, but selecting multiple songs lets you edit Multiple Song Information, so you can set information like Artist for 50 songs (or more) simultaneously. Time saver!
-- You can drag Internet Radio stations to your Library or Playlists for quicker access. This is neat, and nice if you use specific stations frequently.
-- You can convert QT sound files (.mov) to MP3.

Again, I'm not sure if any of these were in SJ, but they're cool since I've found them for the first time.

I'm sure iTunes 1.5 or 2.0 will be killer...

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 12:31 AM

one feature I would like would be the ability to have multiple Libraries. specifically, I would prefer to be able to keep all of my Classical music in a separate Library from my other music, because the criteria used for sorting, "genres," etc. are completely different. for instance, the performer is almost never the composer (we don't have recordings by Beethoven, duh). an extra category. also, for people who know "classical" music, calling it all "classical" is horrible, but if I want to be able to easily view all of my "classical" music, then I have to label it all "classical." then I can't sort based on subcategories, which is really inconvenient.

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2001, 01:53 AM

I checked it out - I like it for the candy interface. Personally, with apps like MP3 players, I like to stick with the little guys, because they make good quaility non-bloated apps. I swear by SoundApp - it doesn't have an equalizer, but for some reason, I like the playback quality I get from it the best out of any of the players out there.

What was pretty easy with iTunes was the whole Shoutcast setup - that was pretty simple.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 02:20 PM

Missing: The ability to burn Disk At Once. Everything I burn is live shows so even the smallest pause makes software useless to me, I asked the iTunes guy at MacWorld about this and he didn't know what I was talking about. CD Master does it and very well I might add. After Jam bugged out on my internal Plextor in B&W G3 configuration I gave Master CD a try and couldn't be happier. I can burn in the background and the disks sound perfect. If Apple did buy CD Master why couldn't they incorporate its best features. Do we have to wait for iTunes 2 for this one?

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2001, 06:53 PM

Any ideas on when we'll see new visualization plugins or the promised plugins for most of the 3rd party CD-R drives out there?

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is true...
*The previous sentence is false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Admin Emeritus
Jan 19, 2001, 10:39 PM

I think they'll do a major revision for iTunes for OS X. The Classic version was apparently slapped together in 2 weeks, and the OS X version will be Cocoa. This is what I heard.

I'm sure they'll add the EQ (what are you *nuts* taking out an EQ??!?) and skins as well as plugins.

I'm betting they'll kill Music Player (yes, that took all of 5 minutes to write with Cocoa) and replace it with iTunes preinstalled with Mac OS X Final.

Remember that this is SoundJam MP ($40) 2.8 vs. iTunes (free) 1.0. It is technically SoundJam, but that's only in terms of the engines (encoder engines, ID3 editor, etc -- but the interface and stuff is completely reworked, and they have added things). I'm sure there's something they want to do with the EQ to make it easier to use -- the SJ one is pretty deluxe!

longest two months *ever*

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2001, 11:59 PM

ive read lots of stuff to this end concerning features missing from iTunes (which i love) that was in soundjam. do you think theyre going to eventually release a purchase version of iTunes with these things that are noticeably missing? i.e. equalizer, export to aiff, etc? this isnt what i want to happen at all, what do you think?

Forum Links
Forum Rules