Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Boot Problems with Mac OS 9

Boot Problems with Mac OS 9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 10:16 PM

I have a Power Macintosh G4 (sawtooth 500mhz) and I downloaded the Mac OS 9.1 upgrade from Apple and ran installed it while booted off the Mac OS 9.0.4 CDROM. The first time I booted after installing, it would lock up right when it started to load the finder (before the hard drives would mount). This happened everytime when I restarted, I unplugged just about every external device I had and it would finally boot but I had to do that each time I restarted the machine.

Now my main problem just happened and I cannot boot the computer at all. It started with a normal crash caused by Mac OS 9.1, then when I tried to boot the computer it beeped 4 times. The beep like when you are pressing that programmers button to upgrade you ROM only I wasn't pressing it. Since then it has not booted, the screen doesn't even turn grey, it just stays black. The fan works!!! The hard drives won't spin up though, the DVDROM drive doesn't work. While the computer is on, if I would unplug a IDE ribbon cable from a hard drive, it would then spin up. When I unplugged the IDE cable from the DVDROM drive, it worked too and I could eject the CD. I have unplugged everything and tried just about everything. What could possibly be wrong?

Forum Links
Forum Rules