Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 & office mgr: please read !

9.1 & office mgr: please read !
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 09:27 PM
To those who use MS Office 2001:

I had written a post some days ago, complaining that I couldn't use my:

* Wacom Tablet
* XLR8 Mouse
* Toast
* Sandisk USB complact flash reader

All of the above items appeared to cause weird and consistent problems with 9.1. This was an unusually hard one to resolve, for several reasons. The bottom line, though, is that the real problem was MS OFFICE 2001 Office Manager (extension/control panel.)

Part of the reason that this was tough, was that the Office Manager stuff worked fine. I had a number of extensions installed, including MS office manager, and everything hummed along. But after installing the Wacom tablet, Toast, the Mouse, etc., the system would hang after loading the extensions. Occasionally, the finder would quit just after booting.

And here's the weird part: re-booting w/o extensions would not help. Even zapping the PRAM didn't help. I had to boot from a CD a number of times, and then disable certain extensions, etc. Even stranger, the "base set" of extensions behaved badly, crashing and freaking out consistently.

Long story short: MS office manager creates problems for other things, but if you only have that installed (and no external firewire or USB devices) you may be okay.

And that's why there are conflicting reports with regard to whether the MS office manager is compatible with 9.1. Evidently, some people aren't affected. Hope this helps clear things up.

Your mileage may vary.

Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 11:30 PM
An interesting experience, but it doesn't match mine. I've installed 9.1 on a Rev A iMac and a B&W G3, both with MS Office Manager and without any USB or FireWire peripherals attached other than Logitech mouses. The iMac has had nary a problem with MS Office Manager, although I did have to disable the Mouseware extensions. The B&W, on the other hand, freaked out with MS Office Manager, which I had to delete from the machine. I guess there must be some combination of extensions that makes the MS Office Manager bomb on one and not the other Mac, but it sure is a puzzler.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Forum Links
Forum Rules