Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > My 9.1 is running nice & smooth :cool:

My 9.1 is running nice & smooth :cool:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2001, 02:47 AM

I made a clean install of my 9.1. Now I have installed all my USB stuff (printer, scanner, digital camera and CDR) and everything is running OK, not a crash...
And I'm feeling great without any Microsoft applications... I'm using iCab and Eudora... but, I need a word processor, advices?!?!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2001, 07:55 AM

AppleWorks, or Corel WordPerfect, er you could also use MS word. I feel it is still the Best Package out there. Or you could wait til Star Office for Mac is released
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2001, 08:15 AM

Who is producing Star Office? Do they have any public beta out there yet? Got a link?
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2001, 03:45 AM

I think StarOffice is a Sun Microsystems product. Check their web page!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2001, 07:20 AM

I've been using Mac OS 9.1 continuously since it was released, and at first everything was fine. Now, my machine crashes many times a day. I've been trying to find a thirdparty extension that causes conflicts, but haven't found it. It crashes most often in iCab Pre2.4 and AppleWorks 5 (the programs I use the most).

I guess it started being crashy after I installed Novell Netware client (5.13).

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2001, 09:09 AM

Jeronimo...
Thanks for the tip. Search of their web site revealed it. Very interesting concept: web-based OFFICE suite of apps. Have to wait till I have some time on my RoadRunner connection to explore it. It's got to have good interface with formats that I'll be using when off-line.

Hmr...
Sounds like an important observation!
I've taken to keeping a folder with a log of each new app/extension I install and system change I make -and when- to help me figure out future buginess. The CPU beneath my balding pate is attached to far too volatile a RAM module to rely on it to remember the changes I made since my last stable system
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Senior User
Jan 18, 2001, 01:20 PM

Too bad you can't boost your physical.
Who are the Brain Police?

Dogbert
Jan 18, 2001, 02:49 PM

Well, they finally got the all-in-one download of the 9.1 upgrade up and I downloaded it using a T-1 connection. Now do I dare disturbe the universe and upgrade? The G-4 dual this would be on is being used as a web page and database server. Have had few problems with 9.0, except the random crash a few times a week. Would 9.1 reduce or increase the frequency of crashes? Any other advantages to the upgrade?

Senior User
Jan 18, 2001, 09:27 PM

hmr, 9.1 has dramatic OT changes, which explains why NOVEL extension may be the cause.

Forum Links
Forum Rules