Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 8 displayed file size problems

Mac OS 8 displayed file size problems
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2000, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a Mac Performa 6360 that had System 7.5. The person had also purchased a Mac OS 8 CD, so I decided to upgrade. Everything has gone well enough, but I just noticed something weird. When I look at the file size in the Finder "list" view, it shows tiny files (ie. 19 bytes) at the size of 305K! In fact, dozens of files are displayed at this size -- BUT if I do a "get info" view, it states "305K on disk (23,155 bytes)." Has anyone encountered this problem? Additionally, mere 4k alias files are all displayed at 153K...

If the known solution is to upgrade, I apologize for this, but I did poke around Apple's TIL, and did a search of this lists archive, but couldn't find a message about this. On one level, I'm hesitant to upgrade further since my Performa only has 16MB of memory. OS 8 currently occupies 8MB, which if fine with me. If my OS gets any bigger, I'm afraid things will get even more bogged down then they already are (virtual memory is on).

Does anyone know the cause and/or solution to this file size problem?

Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2000, 10:23 PM
Simple problem.
What causes that is the block size of the HD.
It is formatted HFS, and I'm betting it has a decent HD (size wise). There are minimum sizes a file can take up... if you get what I mean.
The only solution is to re format the HD in HFS+, which allows for much smaller block sizes.
Generally the above is only a problem which only affects volumes larger than 1 gig. As the HD gets larger, the block sizes get larger. HFS has a limited number of blocks... anyway, you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 09-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 09-22-2000).]
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2000, 09:32 AM
And you must have OS 8.1 or higher to use HFS+...
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

Forum Links
Forum Rules