Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > drive indexing

drive indexing
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2000, 03:38 AM

i have a G4 DP 450 with two internal drives and if i leave the computer idle for long enough (not asleep) a window comes up that says "indexing drive" with a progress bar, at first it says like 15 minutes left, but soon it is up to a few hours, i left it overnight once and it was up to 50 hours left. what is this, why does it do it and hwo can i get it to stop. thanks.
-LUAP
UND KEINE EIER

Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2000, 08:59 AM

select 'Index Volumes...' from one of the menus in the menubar when Sherlock is active and is the frontmost app... you will see what to do, delete the indexes and tell it not to use index schedule

(i take it that you do not wish to use indexing and that is fine, you do not need it unless you are an author or something similar and have tons of text files, etc)

Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2000, 11:43 PM

One thing you can do, I think, to get a modest speed increase in indexing is to make sure you are only indexing in the language(s) you care about. This is controlled through some sort of preferences dialog. Keep in mind that once you have an index created, each successive (however you spell it) operation will be quicker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules