Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File sharing over TCP/IP

File sharing over TCP/IP
Dr. DNA
Sep 25, 2000, 04:46 PM

I really appreciate being able to share files via TCP/IP but I can't seem to keep the little box checked that allows for file sharing by TCP/IP. Everytime the computer is restarted, the check mark is lost. Anyone seen this before and found a way to correct? I've seen it on both a 7500 and a new G4 both running OS 9.

Thanks

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 08:14 PM

Try trashing the FileSharing CP Prefs file from your preferences folder, and restart.

Jan 8, 2001, 02:23 AM

Well this problem, as Dr. DNA described, has driven me (and many others) up the wall for many months. But I think I may have found a solution. (I tried trashing prefs and that did not work)

It has worked for me and would like other people to test it out as well.

I took the extension called 'ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd' (which is actually an application), made an alias of it, and stuck the alias in the 'Startup Items' folder.

I think that when you check the box in the file sharing control panel, it launches this applicaiton. So I figured forcing this to run everytime at startup would solve the problem. Well, it has for me. The only glitch is that the box may still be unchecked even though sharing via TCP/IP is actually running. Two ways to see if it is actually running:

1. Look at the icon of ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd in the extension folder. If it is tinted, then it should be running

2. If your web address is displayed in the file sharing window (above the staus box) then sharing via TCP should be running

Please try this out and post your results in this thread.

[This message has been edited by marc1 (edited 01-08-2001).]

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 11:22 AM

Woowho! Someone found my bug! It is known as bug #2447214 in the internal Apple Bug Database. I worked with a senior programmer at Apple to get his straightened out last July.

This is a bug in the File Sharing system in OS 9...basically if you have any groups created the state of the check box for TCP/IP filesharing will not saved if the machine is shutdown or restarted.

The bug has been fixed in OS 9.1.

Jan 8, 2001, 01:36 PM

Wow. I guess I am talking to the right guy!

A couple of questions...

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
basically if you have any groups created the state of the check box for TCP/IP filesharing will not saved if the machine is shutdown or restarted.

1. So does that mean if you get rid of all groups in the user & groups area, this problem is fixed? so anyone who never set up any groups would not have this problem?

2. Any comments on my solution above?

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 04:50 PM

Yes, if you remove all groups from your File sharing setup then the check box state will be saved upon restarting.

I have not tried your solution of moving the extension itself...if this workaround does work, great, but I'm not sure what other ramifications it might cause. But again, this bug is fixed in OS 9.1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules