Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help needed in converting a pc user...

help needed in converting a pc user...
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 03:13 PM

i want to print out the "Mhz Myth" thing that they had out around after last year's mwny but i can't find it anywhere. wasn't it on the apple site? i can't find it. does anybody have a link or at least a copy of the text somewhere i can use to show my friend's sister? she's interested in the new iMac but has a lot of Mac-phobic misconceptions such as files that are created on a mac are not compatible with pcs! i must save her!

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 03:19 PM

you could always show her this. i believe it was written especially for her

you'd think they'd have that Mhz thing on that page, huh? you'll just have to search their site for it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 03:34 PM

thanks, i gave her the "Everything is easier on a Mac" pamphlet that has that exact same info in it
my next step is the Mhz Myth though since beyond her misconception on file sharing she will definitely want to know why macs have lower clock speeds. i can try explaining the difference between a 2.0ghz pentium 4 and an 800mhz iMac until i'm blue in the face, but somehow i think the actual article will articulate it better
thanks for the link though

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 03:38 PM

hey, is she cute? i'm available tomorrow, she can come over and i can explain things to her in detail...

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 03:41 PM

sorry, she's a lesbian, but i'm sure she'll be quite flattered that you offered

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 03:43 PM

hey, we both like girls, tell her we can build on that!

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 03:45 PM

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 03:46 PM

that's true, having things in common is important.

i found this: http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/
but i could have swore there was a longer, more in depth, version though...am i imagining things or was there a better one?

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 03:50 PM

wow, that was spooky. we found it at the same time 8O
i see now, the mwny presentation is an eight minute video download! argh! how am i supposed to give her that? we both have dial-up too!
i'm almost certain there was a transcribed version on the apple site soon after mwny though...what'd they do with it?

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 03:54 PM

i would imagine it would be on that same page, if it was anywhere. maybe they just trimmed it down. dunno. shouldn't take too long on a 56k, just make sure you're both sat there together, or at least save it and show her the next time she's there

Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 05:29 PM

Ok, this is more impressive. Download it, save it on a PC formatted ZIP disk and bring it over to her place and show her. Tell her it was downloaded on your mac, and her PC can read and play it just fine.

If no ZIP, perhaps you have a CD burner. Even better. The PC parallel ZIP drives are DOG DOG SLOW!!! IDE are a bit better. In any case, you will have proved your point nicely.

Oh, and download the complete installer for Quicktime for windows. then if need be you can install it off the media. (I've found a few people who *haven't* downloaded quicktime, don't ask me what century they're living in; I mean, they *are* on a PC!).

Good luck and keep it up! The more people who see and understand there are some serious advantages to using a Mac will only make the experience better (until the virus writers join in droves).

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 09:14 PM

okay, how do i actually download just the video? i want to put it on a disc like recommended, but when i click on it it just gives me quicktime plug-in options (i'm on a pc by the way cuz the connection is faster and it has a cd burner. my tibook does not )
thanks

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 09:19 PM

you need quicktime pro to save stuff

not that you should do such things (because it's WRONG!), but if you went somewhere like http://astalavista.box.sk/ and searched, some scoundrals would probably have ways of achieving Pro status. isn't that shocking? tsk...

<tramahound>
Feb 19, 2002, 09:25 PM

i actually have pro status for my tibook, but would that work on a pc?

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 09:43 PM

being an honest citizen, i wouldn't know about such things, but i'd guess you might need a different one for the pc

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 10:35 PM

okay, now if i had quicktime pro how would i download the movie? does it give me an option to do so after right clicking or do i have to find it in my temporary internet files folder?

Occasionally Useful
Feb 19, 2002, 10:54 PM

click. play. when it's finished downloading, there's a little triangle thing in the bottom right of the movie. click that, there's a menu. i'll let you be the hero during the finale

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 11:33 PM

thanks a ton phil, you're a huge help and a credit to the mac community!

Forum Links
Forum Rules