Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Office for OSX

Office for OSX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 02:59 PM

Hey everybody, i have an iMac, iBook, and Powerbook G4 (each for different members of my family connected through airport). I just upgraded to OSX.1 and bought Office for it. I loaded it on each of my computers and now it says that i can't use it on more than 1 at a time. Is there anyway i can avoid this? I really don't want to have to buy 2 more copies of Office. Any suggestions?

Tom

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 03:21 PM

Type these 2 lines in the terminal on each machine and things should work. You will have to do this at each restart unless you get it into the startup items.
This must be done as root

ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222
ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464

-Q-
Feb 20, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by spiney:
<STRONG>Type these 2 lines in the terminal on each machine and things should work. You will have to do this at each restart unless you get it into the startup items.
This must be done as root

ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222
ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464</STRONG>
Just type 'sudo' in front of those commands and it'll work. It'll ask you for your admin password and then complete the command. Sudo allows you to do things as root without being logged in as root (which isn't recommended unless you really know what you're doing).

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: -Q- ]

TommyL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 04:49 PM

im a little confused.... what is the "lecture" deal and "think before you type."

and it wont let me type in a password

Feb 20, 2002, 05:34 PM

The lecture is something like this.

Root is the most powerful user on a Unix box. As root you can screw things up, and as it is unix, there is rarely an undo command. When I say screw things up, I mean royally, unabashedly foul up your machine, loose data, panic the box, and have to start from scratch. I wouldn't give you root, ever, but this is your box and if you want to learn, go learn.

As far as the password goes, it should be your admin password, but you may have to set that up. It is detailed in forums here, somewhere. Go searching....
If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 04:34 AM

Try it in this form, then I don't *think* you have to do it again when you restart.

Adam

-launch terminal.

-at the prompt, become root, by typing:
sudo sh

-when prompted, enter your root or administration password

-at the prompt, enter:
/sbin/ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222

-hit return

-after the verification, at the next prompt shown, type:
/sbin/ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464

-hit return

-yr port change will be verrified again. at the next prompt, type:
exit

-hit return and then you can close terminal if you don't need it anymore. the ports accessed by office are now shut off.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: as2 ]
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2002, 11:34 AM

you could also download Brickhouse from versiontracker, a shareware program, which lets you setup filters for your ports without using the termina. It's only $25, and a great firewall program.

Hope that helps\

Forum Links
Forum Rules