Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple OS's

Multiple OS's
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 10:58 PM

So now what do I do? I teach graphics in high school. I have 18 beige G3's running OS 8.5 and 12 iMacs running OS 9.1. We use PhotoShop 6.5, Illustrator 9, PageMaker 6.5, Bryce 4, Director 7, FoolProof, and Virex 5.7.

THE PROBLEM: I can get 6 new iMacs and a new G4, probably running OSX-10.1.
What problems will I have with:

1. software compatibility

2. exchanging files (forward and backward) between computers with different OS's using zip disks

Help!
Hal was a IIe.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2002, 11:13 PM

All new Macs come with both OS 9.2.2, and OS X. They boot, by default, into X, but you can change that in system preferences/startup disk, to boot them into 9, for compatability with your existing systems.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 06:49 PM

Personally, I'd put the machines capable of it on 10.1.3 and the rest on 9.1. 9.2 is crashy in my experience, although 9.2.2 is okay. I think that Zip disks are automatically recognized by any OS higher than 9. I don't know about your programs. What's FoolProof?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

GrizKen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 08:01 PM

cdhostage,
FoolProof is a great security program. I use it on all our computers. It prohibits changes to the hard disk, allows saving only in specified places—a user folder or ejectable disk, and you can lock certain applications (like speech, appearance, or CD audio, etc.) to prevent students from fooling around.

Thanks to all for your help on the OS question.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: GrizKen ]
Hal was a IIe.

Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2002, 08:11 PM

One more thing... upgrade those G3s to OS 8.6

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules