Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DSL, DHCP, iMac and problems

DSL, DHCP, iMac and problems
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2000, 02:14 AM

Over a period of time using DSL service from USWest on a network comprised mostly of PCs, I have observed an interesting (and rather vexing) problem that seems to crop up intermittently and inexplicably. Everything will work fine for a while(hours, days, weeks, months even), and then for no apparent reason I lose my ability to access the internet. The DSL modem (which acts as the DHCP server) assigns all the IP addresses, router address etc just fine, but I can't bring up a web page in IE 5.0 (or anything for that matter). I have been unable to pin down the problem under OS 8.6, or currently under 9.0.4. All of the ethernet software is in place, and should be working, and as far as I can tell everything is configured properly, but maybe I am overlooking something. I have heard all sorts of weird somewhat unsubstantiated theories on why this is ranging from bad Mac DSL support from USWest (not entirely unlikely) to a corrupted TCP/IP control panel. If anybody has any thoughts, provocative questions, or better yet, solutions, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2000, 02:25 AM

I have the same setup. more or less...

i manually configure my machines, the dhcp is really undeed on the mac side, since the router takes care of it.
Also, rebooting the cisco675(thats what i got anyways) would help id bet.

------------------
-See Yea!

Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 10:18 AM

Well, as with my cable modem, it probably just goes down every once in a while...

It always does come back shortly, doesn't it?

(Yay! 400 posts!)

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Gina Dentata
Oct 4, 2000, 06:48 PM

I had a problem with my DSL a few weeks ago, and none of the troubleshooting procedures the tech support people went through worked. So they scheduled a service call, but they guy wasn't due out for a couple of days.

Out of desperation, I ran the Internet Setup Assistant and made a new connection in TCP/IP. Whaddya know, it worked. I guess the preferences were corrupted or something. It's worth a try.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules