Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Big OS 9 Problems plz help!!!!!!!!!!!

Big OS 9 Problems plz help!!!!!!!!!!!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2002, 02:45 PM

I have had this problem reoccurng 4 times in the last 5 weeks. I use OS X and OS 9 sometimes I want to use OS 9 when it freezes I have to boot the system up again. It can't find the startup disk and won't start up when I try and use the OS 9 install disk it gets to the MOSS and gives me a bomb error which reads 'bus error please restart and press shift to turn off extensions' This also does the same thing. I end up having to install OS 10.0 and 10.1 again. After this is done OS 9 works fine, until it freezes agian,
Please help!!!!!
Thanks
Chris
----
Two Faced Mac
http://twofacedmac.virtu
alave.net

Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by twofacedmac:
<STRONG>I have had this problem reoccurng 4 times in the last 5 weeks. I use OS X and OS 9 sometimes I want to use OS 9 when it freezes I have to boot the system up again. It can't find the startup disk and won't start up when I try and use the OS 9 install disk it gets to the MOSS and gives me a bomb error which reads 'bus error please restart and press shift to turn off extensions' This also does the same thing. I end up having to install OS 10.0 and 10.1 again. After this is done OS 9 works fine, until it freezes agian,
Please help!!!!!
Thanks
Chris </STRONG>
Have you tried zapping the PRAM? It would seem to me that boot settings such as startup disk are stored in PRAM, so maybe zapping it may clear out anything that's wrong... I'm not too experienced with errors of this nature, but if I had this error, that's what I'd try first.

So you try booting off the OS9 disk holding the shift key? And that still gives you the bomb?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 04:45 PM

You could also try running Disk Warrior, I had a similar problem and after running DiskWarrior it seemed to fix my Problem

hehe DiskWarrior RULES!!!
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
<STRONG>You could also try running Disk Warrior, I had a similar problem and after running DiskWarrior it seemed to fix my Problem

hehe DiskWarrior RULES!!! </STRONG>
Yah, I was going to suggest something like that, but it seems like he can't even get to MacOS...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2002, 03:43 AM

1. Zap PRAM.
2. Start up from DW CD.
2. B) If it hangs on Finder launch, I'll have to set up something a little more complex for you, but its no problem.
3. Fix the drive.
4. Make sure the startup disk control panel is present.

Done. Don't bother holding shift at startup, it'll still crash. Unless... does it crash before any extensions load?

Forum Links
Forum Rules