Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help viewer searches weirdly

help viewer searches weirdly
Senior User
Oct 4, 2000, 11:02 PM

when I run the help viewer (in OS 9.0.4) and type something into the search window and hit "search", I always get the message that there isn't enough memory available and that I should quit other programs and close windows and stuff. This happen when there is nothing else running, and I have 160Megs of RAM. Virtual Memory on or off has no effect. I've increased the memory allocation for the program to ridiculous levels with no effect.

Then I found out that when I control click on a folder and select "help" from the porup menu, help viewer will search for the name of the folder just fine. Which is weird.

So there is a work around, but I want to fix it. I also already tried deleting the prefs.

Who is more clever than I?

Darcy
Oct 5, 2000, 10:09 AM

Go to System, Help, Apple Help Viewer and in there is the app Help Viewer. Try increasing it's memory allocation.

I've got mine set to 10 megs and although I haven't seen that error in many months, I think that's what I did to fix it.

But also, you've raised an important work around. If I recall, starting the help viewer from an alias to the help viewer instead of via the menu has also been known to clear up the search error. But damn I don't remember! haha, it just works now.

Darcy

Phrustrated Phil
Oct 5, 2000, 06:55 PM

I have experienced the same error. As I have 192MB RAM, I once set Help Viewer's memory to 50MB and tried to search. I STILL got an "out of memory"! On the random occasions when it has actually returned search results, it playfully refuses to open up any of the topics which it has displayed, i.e, "Look but don't touch." So long as I only want to read what Help displays in its regular windows, it works fine. It just won't let me search for anything.

jeffhot  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2000, 09:30 PM

yeah, that's ******** ! I don't know that I can merely re-install the Help Viewer without re-installing the whole OS either.

I was thinking about writing some stupid applescript that would create a folder named what I wanted to search and then throw it away after the search, but that would be an incredible waste of time and clunky to boot.

Now I have just the frivolous reason I need to switch to OS X beta. Screw that OS 9 help viewer!!!!

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2000, 03:13 AM

Hi all,

For possible solutions to this problem, see the earlier related threads in this Forum [e.g., Trouble with OS 9 "Mac Help"], or over in the MacFixIt Fora/Forums [e.g., MacHelp- Insufficient Memory].

Regards,

--Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules