Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Applications don't see hard drive ??

Applications don't see hard drive ??
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2000, 02:13 AM

Here's my set-up: B&W G3 rev.2 with two hard drives (both Maxtor). On my master drive named "Macintosh HD" I have one partition and am running OS 9.0.4. This is my primary system. The second hard drive is partitioned into two drives. On the first partition I installed OS 9.0.4 and called it "Classic." On the second partition I installed OS X PB and named this "Mac OS X." What imagination, eh?

I boot into my primary system, Macintosh HD, and everything seems to be running just fine. That is, until I tell an app like Graphic Converter 3.9.1 to open a file. The window to choose the file opens like normal, but all my choices with Desktop selected are Calssic and Mac OS X. Nothing for Macintosh HD. It's like the computer can't see my primary hard drive. Odd, because this is where I have all the applications like Graphic Converter that are giving me a hard time. Same thing with Photo Shop 5.0 LE and MS Word. In Word when I save a document and it asks me where to save it, it tries to put me in Classic with my only other choice Mac OS X. Sometimes, if my trash even appears in the list at all it's grayed out. What up wit dat?

As usual I bow to the collective wisdom and knowledge of this group and offer my thanks in advance.

------------------
"There is no spoon."

Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2000, 09:26 AM

man, that's strange. what format is the Macintosh HD partition? HFS or HFS+?

-r.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2000, 11:25 PM

The master drive is in HFS Standard and the slave drive containing Classic and Mac OS X is Extended HFS+. Actually I never noticed this before. The two drives were in the computer when I got it. I only formatted the slave drive prior to installing OS X PB.

------------------
"There is no spoon."

Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2000, 11:42 PM

well, that's my only guess. i'm not running the public beta so maybe someone who is could tell you if it supports HFS partitions. my gut feeling is no, as apple moved away from HFS when OS 8.1 came out...

-r.

Alsoft Tech Support
Oct 9, 2000, 05:40 PM

There is a problem with the Mac OS X beta where it sets a disk's invisible flag for HFS (Mac OS Standard) format disks. A good utility should make the disk visible again. Some one has written a freeware app to fix this, but I'm afraid I don't know where to get it.

------------------
------------------------
Alsoft Technical Support
Tech.Support@Alsoft.com

Nauscicaa
Oct 11, 2000, 10:48 AM

It is a known problem of OS X PB. I fixed it by reinstalling everything, but there is an easier way to do it as Alsoft Tech Support mentioned.

A tip: after fixing it make sure that you let OS X use the 9.0.4 that is on your second HD, it will then only 'screw' up that system and you should be able to use the other 9.0.4 and have it show up in the dialogue windows.

You choose the OS 9 used by OS X in System Preferences -> Classic

[This message has been edited by Nauscicaa (edited 10-11-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules