Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > URL Access 2.1

URL Access 2.1
shyne
Oct 7, 2000, 05:55 AM

anyone updated?
did you notice any difference?
what files were changed?
i looked on different apple ftp sites but couldn't find this file anywhere, and i don't use the auto update because i hate having to quit everything and restart for something when no real info is given.

quote from macnn 10/5:
Ben Kerosky notes that URL Access 2.1 is available from the software update control panel, but not yet available on Apple's Website for download.
"Just wanted to let you know I checked software update today, and something new was available I hadn't seen mentioned before. URL Access software version 2.1 is available (about a 300k download). It claims to improve access to secure web sites and other miscellaneous Internet related access issues."

Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2000, 02:19 AM

Has anyone gotten the update to install correctly?

After I click on Software Update, the file downloads but then says that it was unable to install.

Ideas? Suggestions? Can the update be downloaded separately from the Software Update control panel?

Dave

Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2000, 12:46 PM

It installed perfectly for me using the SU control panel (version 1.1.3) on an iMac DV SE, OS 9.0.4. Then copied it from that iMac onto every 9.0.4 machine on my network using ANAT 4.0.2..

I haven't seen any difference in functionality-- IE 5 still crashes every few days, iCab still draws a little bit funky, Netscape still takes up way too much memory :-) ..

-pwc

Administrator
Oct 12, 2000, 12:52 PM

Dave,

Check here for a direct download.
http://www17.pair.com/macnn/cgi-bin/...rms=url+access

(There is also news of what changed: apparently it allows iCab to support 128-bit encryption.)

m.

Senior User
Oct 12, 2000, 01:05 PM

I also installed URL Access 2.1 through software update as I couldn't find it at Update website. Had same result as dpfenniger, ie: at very end of download said it was unable to install. However, when I successfully returned through software update (which I can get to only about one time in five, the remainder resulting in freezes) the update was not listed, which I assumed meant it installed successfully. Sherlock confirmed this.
My conclusion? Keep trying, and don't believe "unable to install" notice at end of download.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules