Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > S L O W Mac OS 9

S L O W Mac OS 9
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2001, 09:00 PM

I have been having strage problem for a while. After my PM G3 B&W has been on for a while, things s l o w down. The mouse moves fine, applications open as normal, but typing becomes as if in slow motion, the graphics in iTunes move very slowly, etc. I was running 9.1 and still have the problem under 9.2.1. I have tons of RAM (512 MB), and OS X lives on its own drive. The problem goes away on restart, but occurs after the Mac has been on for a while. I even reloaded 9.1 and upgraded again to.2.1. Does anyone know if some extensions could be causing this? Please help!
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 11:56 PM

First a question: have you allocated enough of your memory to the applications you use? If you have done so, then I guess I'd start out trying the usual fixes. Trash System and Finder preferences and restart. If you've still got problems, use DiskWarrior or TechTools to rebuild your HD and defragment, then after you've restarted, rebuild the desktop files.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2001, 12:15 AM

is apple talk on? check the chooser...
when i installed 9.2.1, this was turned on & was slowing down some of my apps...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 03:45 AM

Try disabling the "Iomega driver" extension and see if the issue persists. There appears to be some kind of conflict between the Iomega driver and the Apple CD/DVD driver. Some people have even 'downgraded' the Apple driver to version 1.4.3 to resolve the conflict, but it could possibly cause problems with newer programs that expect the newer driver.

If the issue persists after disabling the Iomega driver, then something else is going on. I would troubleshoot extensions and preferences. Good luck.

--
Stembolt

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 08:06 AM

Well, I started trimming my Extensions in Extensions Manager and now have a properly functioning system. I just need to find out which Extension was causing the problems. I turned off SETI@Home, Norton Antivirus AutoProtect, Kensington ADB, and the Canon 1220 USB drivers (I have a Canon 650 scanner, but the software loads drivers for both).
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules