Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Initializing Partitions

Initializing Partitions
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2002, 11:16 PM

As some of you may have read in an earlier post, I had a crash on my OS 9.0.4 partition. I got a current copy of Norton (it's what the salesman recommended) and was able to recover lots of data from that partition. The recovered system folder is not useable, so I need to reinstall it. I get the error message saying that "This disk is not recognized by this computer. Would you like to format it?" and it gives me a couple of options, reflecting the size of the partition (2gb; comes up as 1.9 gb). Will the drive setup utility or whatever this is format just this partition so it will mount on the desktop? If I accidentally erase the whole 40gb hard drive my life won't be worth living . Also, can I format this part in HFS+, even though the rest of the hard drive is HFS? And will this allow me to load and use OSX on this computer? I searched the forums and came up with questions that were close to this, but nothing exactly answered this. Thanks in advance; I really need to try fixing this by Monday! (it's Saturday night).

Val

Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 12:20 AM

You'll be fine.

Since it's reporting the disk as 1.9GB it's clearly going to initialize the partition and not the entire drive. In addition, you can't initialize the partition you booted from.

Also, you can format it as HFS+ regardless of the partition type used on other partitions on the drive. You can have any mix of HFS, HFS+, UFS, etc. partitions on the same drive and you won't have problems.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules