Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Network error with Sherlock 2

Network error with Sherlock 2
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2000, 11:02 PM

I usually have a problem with Sherlock 2 when performing a net search. I type the words I'm searching for and if I hit the return key, I usually get a message of "Network Error. Please check your network settings." or something like that. Typically, it will still do the search (but not always) and I usually don't get that message if I click on the magnifying glass instead of hitting return. I haven't noticed any definite patterns that will make the problem come and go 100% of the time. I'm using an iMac DV/SE which had OS9 factory installed. I have Communicator set as my default browser. I am not connected to a network of any kind (besides the web). It's not a debilitating problem but kind of an annoyance. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2000, 01:50 AM

For possible explanatons, please see the related threads over in the MacFixIt Forums -- e.g., Sherlock error.

Good luck.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2000, 08:52 AM

also, try this... open the Internet control panel and then select 'User Mode' from the Edit menu and the click on 'Advanced' and then click 'OK'... you will now have a new 'tab' in your Internet control panel called 'Advanced'... click on the Advanced tab and then scroll down to 'Firewalls' and click on it and then check the box marked 'Web Proxy' and then hit 'command-S' (save) and then UNCHECK the 'Web Proxy' box and close the Internet control panel, it will ask you if you want to save the changes made, respond 'yes'

Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2000, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the suggestions at MacFixIt, but each time through the list (turning one plug-in on at a time) different ones would give me the error. Some more than others.

wlonh, I am using a filtered ISP (this.com). I need to go through their proxy server. I would imagine that deselecting web proxys would make the web inaccessible. If so, would it be reletively easy to go back?
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 01:01 AM

well, if you are using a proxy then my suggestion is no good for you...

An Apple TIL article says this:

"When using Sherlock to search I get the error message, "A network error has occurred, check your connections and try again." Can you help?

Here are some common reasons why this occurs:

1. A corrupt or outdated Sherlock plug-in. To locate the troublesome plug-in, disable all of your Sherlock plugins. Next, enable one at a time, attempting to search Sherlock with each new addition until the issue reappears. Once you have isolated the problematic plug-in, either replace the plug-in with a fresh copy, or try using the "update search sites" feature of Sherlock.
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24841

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-11-2000).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2000, 07:44 PM

Hi again,

If the problem is occurring with more than one plug-in, and in a random manner, perhaps it's not related to your plug-ins after all. Also, if the manual search engines at the corresponding websites are responding normally via a standard browser, we can probably rule out transient conditions at your ISP's servers or on the Internet itself.

Note that Apple's TIL #24841 also contains a link to another related TIL #24736; the latter does a pretty good job of explaining the rationale behind the "toggle Proxy preference" approach. In brief, although the specified steps imply otherwise, it's not important whether the final setting for the Proxy preference is On or Off, just that it gets temporarily changed (so as to reset the possily corrupt Internet Config entry for the Proxy option in the 'Internet Preferences' file in your Preferences folder). Note that this file is a little prone to corruption because it is constantly accessed by all applications that use the Internet Config API (or the Internet control panel in Mac OS 8.5+), and it also seems to be used by Microsoft's Internet Explorer to store certain other settings such as IE's cache sizes, etc. [ As a very last resort, a more thorough (but extremely tedious) approach would be to first back up your existing 'Internet Preferences' file, and obtain a known good copy from someone else (or simply delete it and let a fresh one be re-created by the Internet Config application or the Internet control panel). Unfortunately, you would then need to painfully re-configure your ISP settings, along with your preferred file mappings, etc., etc. :-( ]

One more thing, what ISP are you using to connect to the Web? AOL? Earthlink? Other?

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 01-12-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules