Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9 CD-ROM Problems

MacOS 9 CD-ROM Problems
dhark
Jan 10, 2000, 03:37 AM

Hi there!

I yesterday installed OS 9 on my B/W G3 350.
Since the installation my Mac doesn't read CD's anymore. The only CD it recognizes is the MacOS 9 CD, all the other ones are ejected as unreadable.
The G3 CD Patch 2.0 was already installed and also the newest ROM (OpenFirmware).

I read the threads here and saw that there were some post regarding Iomega Driver being incompatible with the CD-Driver. I have deactivated the Driver but the error still exists.

I can't read CD-ROM.
Can somebody help?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2000, 10:49 AM

Hi.

Fear not, you aren't alone. I am experiencing the same problem. The workaround? Have any CD in the iMac at boot time. It will appear on the desktop. Any CD loaded after that should appear. At least this all worked for me.
Hope this helps.

regards,
Richard G. Brock
rgbrock1@hotmail.com

newsmac
Jan 10, 2000, 10:52 AM

dhark; I have OS9 on a B&W G3, but never have had the problem you describe, however my CD drive did seem to slow way down (but still worked) right after the first (regular) install. After some other problems popped up, I did a reformat & everything has been great since. I have also read some reports about the driver/ exstension conflict, and Iomega posted a driver update not too long ago, so maybe that will help you out. I got mine from Versiontracker.com, which btw, if you didnt already know, is a valuable resource for staying up-to-date. Hope this helps, good luck :-)

dhark
Jan 10, 2000, 12:54 PM

Hi there newsmac!

I tried the newest Iomega Installer/Driver (and I also keep track of updates on versiontracker). But the Iomega Driver is not the problem ( I tried without the driver).

The installation that I made was a clean install. That means that I also reformatted the drive etc.

Hey rgbrock1! I also tried your tip, but my mac won't boot if a CD is in the Drive at startup....

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2000, 12:59 PM

Dhark, in what way does your iMac not boot with a CD inside? Do you hear the CD spinning up? Can you try this with the OS 9 CD?
Richard G. Brock
rgbrock1@hotmail.com

SaintWaldo
Jan 10, 2000, 03:29 PM

I have experienced some weirdness with CDs under OS9 in my strawberry iMac(333). It seems to want to mount _every_ partition on the CD. For example, my Total Annihilation CD mounts with the HFS TA drive _and_ "Audio CD 1", the CD audio from the game as a separate disk on the desktop. It does this to every CD I have that mixes true CD audio with a PC/MAC data image. It did _not_ do this under 8.6.

I haven't tested to see if it will mount both the PC and the MAC images of a hybrid CD, but I have a feeling it just might.

Oh well, at least I _can_ mount CDs, even if it's a few more at a time than I'm used to.

Perhaps it's just a driver update issue that will revert to traditional behavior in a patch or 9.1.

Hope I've mystifyed you all a little more.

Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2000, 03:33 PM

SaintWaldo, your response was very intriquing to me. I have a similar issue with my 333 iMac, (blue, if that matters:> ), and Civilization II Gold CD. I now receive two copies on the desktop, one labeled Civ II, and one labeled Audio1, (or something like that). In addition, the audio tracks of the game now sound like a "scratched" record, (if your old enough to remember what a 'record' is!) If I pop the CD into an audio CD player, the audio tracks sound find. But in the iMac, it drives me crazy! Other pure audio CDs sound fine in the iMac; it is only Civ II that shows this problem.

Hurry, Apple, with 9.0.1!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2000, 08:40 PM

I can't comment on the bad audio or poorly mounted CDs (in fact, since installing OS 9 I can now mount a CD that never mounted under 8.6); however, I can comment on the multiple partition mounting.

It's supposed to do that by design. If you've ever tried to listen to the audio from an enhanced CD with the Mac's CD-ROM drive you'll likely remember that everytime the Mac scans it's drives, which happens fairly often, the audio CD was interrupted. The solution from Apple is to mount both the audio and enhanced sections of the CD, so if you want to listen to just the music you can unmount the enhanced part and the playback is never interrupted.

Andrew.

dhark
Jan 31, 2000, 10:24 AM

Hi there!

After some trying I have finally traced down my Problem.
The Problem seemed to be that the CD/DVD Extension was corrupted after installation of OS9.
I extracted a clean version with Tomeviewer from the Installer-Tome and put it in the System Folder,reboot. Voilą it works!!!

Senior User
Feb 1, 2000, 11:07 AM

I haven't had any problems with CD's mounting, except that they seem to take forever to show up on the desktop. Seems a bit odd.

------------------
Jonathan Haddad
jjhaddad@zoo.uvm.edu

Forum Links
Forum Rules