Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do you "Re-Bless" a System Folder on a dif. drive?

How do you "Re-Bless" a System Folder on a dif. drive?
Dahl Bryn
May 28, 2000, 03:00 PM

Would anyone by any chance know how to "re-bless" a System Folder on my Mac.

I'll explain. I've got a Mac 8600 / 300mhz with 2 drives (1internal 10GB that I boot
from and 1 external 30 GB Maxtor 7200rpm drive that I also boot from using a dif.
Mac OS version). I run some of my older music software on OS 8.1 on the internal
and then reboot using OS 9.04 for newer apps from the external Maxtor.

Problem was, I had a major crash/bug-out and my Mac will not allow me to boot
from the external drive any more. I've been doing this for a long time now by
changing the drive in the Startup Drive Control Panel. But now it seems to totally
ignore my drive selection and will only boot from the internal.

I've Zapped the PRAM. But to no avail... I would rather not re-install OS9 as I
have a lot of updated stuff in the system folder and would hate to have to re-do it all.

Any suggestions? I really need to fix this. Any help would be appreciated! Thanx.

iMan_ca
May 29, 2000, 03:38 AM

I.damaged,my,keyboard.so.i.have.to,type.like.this. until.i.get.a.new.one.

run.disk.firstaid.on.it
then.remove.the,system.file.from.the.system...the. system.folder.on.the.external,move.it.to,the.deskt op.then.move.it.back.into.the.......system.folder. and.there.should.be.a.happpy.. .macos.logo.on.the.system.folder.
then.set.the.contol.panel.to.use.the,external.as.y our.startup.disk...buy.removing.and.placing.the.sy stem.backinto.the.system.folder.you.force.the.OS.t o.redo.its.bootblock.on.that.d rive.
try.it.let.me.know.if.that.solves.it....sorry.abou t.the.no.spaces.i.have.to.get.a.new.keyboard.let.t his.show.dont.get.to.made.at.a.keyboard....

Professional Poster
May 29, 2000, 07:58 AM

BRAVO, iMan_ca... for service above and beyond the call... man, what pain that keyboard must be...

the action he describes (pulling the System file, or the Finder as i believe i have read/done, out and placing it on desktop then putting it back in System Folder) is called 'resetting the boot blocks' and it should work

iMan_ca
May 29, 2000, 12:03 PM

Dahl Bryn
May 29, 2000, 08:15 PM

Well it worked.. thanks all

iMan_ca
May 29, 2000, 10:13 PM

wlonh,I need to talk to you about something in private, something you might be able to help out with. I am on IRC as "huzur" in relic.net
my personal channel is #macintosh
and i have a email and icq account, rather not give that out here but I can if I must.
Thanx man...

Forum Links
Forum Rules