Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Language kit hassles

Language kit hassles
uchujin
Jan 10, 2000, 07:33 PM

G3LombardPB400, 198mbRAM, clean install of OS9. Installed Japanese Language kit from CD. Registered all relevant apps with language register. Works fine inside documents BUT I cannot get any system files to display Japanese correctly. This means extensions/control panels with Japanese names (including Apples' own ones) as well as anything in the Apple menu (recently used items etc.) and any command boxes (e.g. when Language register asks you to register an app it can't read the app name if it's in Japanese, just get gobbledygook).
I'm guessing the only way around this is to add some Japanese fonts to the Appearance control panel. Anyone know how to do this?

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2000, 12:03 AM

Yep, you are right. Just set "Views Font" in apearance control panel to one of the Japanese fonts.

uchujin
Jan 11, 2000, 08:32 AM

Yes, BUT even when i set the Views to (e.g.) Osaka, those system related menus (e.g. Apple menu, system commands/alerts) won't read japanese.

any ideas?

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2000, 09:58 AM

Have you tried setting a Japanese font as Large System Font. There was a hack at http://www.resexcellence.com/ that showed how to make virtually any font your system font.

Jan 11, 2000, 10:47 PM

uchujin, why don't you use kaliedoscope or other similar utility and set all the fonts on your 'appearance', 'apple menu's', and 'names' to whatever font you would like to use. and i was also wondering when you have japanese lan kit installed and rename a folder/file on desktop, does finder automatically change your font from eng to jap? it also happens when i'm in netscape and want to fill out data on the web. lan kit makes it a priority to convert text into non-eng language. do you get that?

uchujin
Jan 13, 2000, 03:17 AM

thnks for the advice altivec and gene. as to your questions altivec, yes and no. sometimes when in n/scape it will automatically pick up the appropriate language&font and sometimes I will have to go through the view-character set rigmarole.

as to on the desktop, it never changes from what i happen to be working in at the moment. however, i am working on a Japanese version (japanese keyboard) lombard, so that may have something to do with it.

Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2000, 12:45 PM

I don't know if I can help you or not, but all I can do is comment.

I have found that the Japanese Language Kit works far better under OS 9 than under OS 8.5.1. Now, I must admit that my JLK under OS 8.5.1 was a hack, but...

Under OS 9, if I am using a Japanese application (such as Simple Text or the Epson Print Monitor 3), the menu bar changes to kana and kanji and all dailog windows appear in Japanese as well. Making changes in the Appearance Manager seems to have nothing to do with this, as any font can be selected. Even "Kotoeri Help" appears in the Help Menu in kana.

The one real oddity I have discovered comes with my Epson Chooser Extension and Print Manager. When I choose Page Set Up or Print from within most applications (ClarisWorks or GraphicConverter), the menus and dailogs are gobbledygook. However, if I choose these options from within SimpleText Japanese, the kana and kanji are displayed flawlessly.

Thanks for listening.
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

Forum Links
Forum Rules