Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > os9 and hard drive utils

os9 and hard drive utils
highmaintenance
Jan 11, 2000, 06:03 AM

does os9 have any built-in utilities for hard drive defragmentation? i've used the provided hard disk utility to check and partition drives, but i haven't come across anything for defrag purposes. am i missing something obvious here, or do i need to purchase a third party app?

if third party software is required, i would sincerely appreciate recommendations.

thank you..
meow

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 08:08 AM

no, unfortunately there is no defragger 'built-in' to MacOS9 (nor any previous MacOS)

There are a few options... if you want just a defragger (optimizer) there is Alsoft's PlusOptimizer at www.alsoft.com , if you want a full utilities suite, either Norton Utilities 5 or TechTool Pro will do... it is a matter of personal preference as to which util's suite you buy, I have never ever had the_slightest_problem with Norton and some people have had nothing but trouble with it (or so they say, I always find it hard to believe) and the same can be said for TechTool Pro, I am sure, though I gave up on TechTool Pro awhile back so I can't really speak to the virtues of TechTool Pro...

Opinions are like a******s, everyone's got one... and as far as utilities suites go, find the best price you can and buy that product, because when the day is done, they have both done the job...

I do strongly recommend Alsoft's DiskWarrior, it does NOT defrag but it rebuilds the directories on your HD, something TechTool can NOT do, Norton Utilities can do this.

Check out your alternative costs, go to www.alsoft.com and price their two util's PlusOptimizer and DiskWarrior, then go to www.symantec.com and check price on Norton Util's then go to www.micromat.com and check on TechTool and see which will fill the bill best for you, the Alsoft stuff or the Norton or TechTool stuff...

ALSO, you can check for 'hot deals' on these softwares at www.dealmac.com and www.pricepulse.com

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-11-2000).]

Linda
Jan 11, 2000, 11:54 AM

wlonh--

I have both Norton Utilities and TechTool Pro and the newest TTP can indeed rebuild the desktop. Perhaps not quite in the same manner as DiskWarrior, but it does show you the "new" directory and the "old" directory and lets you choose whether to replace or not.

peace,
Linda

highmaintenance
Jan 11, 2000, 12:48 PM

thank you both for your help! i'm liking macnn more and more everyday.

i did my homework, and it looks like i'll be picking up a copy of norton utilities. it seems like it has more options (and defrag, which is why i'll pass on disk warrior for now) for my money.

again, thank you very much.

meow

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 01:59 PM

LINDA, I said "REBUILD DIRECTORIES"...

NOT desktop!!!!!!!

jeez.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-11-2000).]

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2000, 03:33 PM

Note that the just announced Disk Warrior 2.0 from Alsoft ships with a copy of PlusOptimizer.

Personally I use Norton for defragging... it's better than PlusOptimizer. Mind you, if defragging is all you want Plus Optimizer can be purchased for $30 as opposed to $80 for the Norton suite.

------------------
Misha Sakellaropoulo
Senior Editor, MacNN
iMac2Day, iBook2Day

newsmac
Jan 11, 2000, 08:02 PM

If you just want to defrag, and want to see if it will improve the performance of your hard drive before you fork out some cash, symantec has a free 30 day trial version of "SpeedDisk" which will optimize and defrag for you. Just remember that you have to have a boot cd to start up from, since you can't run the program on the same disk that it is installed on. But all you have to do is make a back up first, insert the boot disk, select it as your start up disk, then restart and run the program, when it's done, then re-select your hard drive as the start up disk and restart again, and you should notice a considerable performance difference. Try it, it's free!! Some of the other mfgrs may have free trials too. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules