Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Updater kills internet connection.

Updater kills internet connection.
Jan 14, 2000, 04:19 PM

Ok, this is one of those "stupid" problems, but I can't come up with a workaround and I wondered if anyone else has any ideas.

I have a DSL connection which requires MacPoet, the internet dialer, to maintain the connection.

The problem is that the Software Updater under OS 9 kills all open programs when it goes to install certain files. Thus, when it finds a new update, when I click "OK," the first thing to happen is that I lose my internet connection. And am thus unable to download the update.

I would guess that this problem also occurs with dialup connections. Has anyone else had this problem who can recommend a solution?

Thanks!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2000, 03:32 PM

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Same thing with me only it's with Apple's standard Remote Access. I remember something along these lines a few weeks back with folks using AOL, but don't recall the fix.

There is an update to the update by the way, but I've tried that and no luck either.

Anyone here? The macfixit folks don't know either.

Paul

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2000, 06:51 PM

Ooops, nevermind. One doesn't need the Remote Access Status "application" to keep a internet connection. A manual quit did the trick.

Thanks all the same.

Paul

ps: Be sure to update the updater. Use the back door if you must through Versiontracker.com

Jan 22, 2000, 05:29 AM

Well, Apple is aware of the problem, and a fix is apparently in progress.

Click here for the tech info article: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60598

How in the world aren't more people having this problem, such as people who are using AOL to "dial" the internet, or other such service providers?

Anyway, hope the fix comes out soon. It's a rather nice feature to have working.

voltsxamps
Jan 22, 2000, 08:35 PM

I'm not sure who changed what software, but today I tried to run Software Update again via AOL and it worked perfectly - downloading two lengthy updates. It looks as though AOL has changed its software to accommodate the new Apple software update feature.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules