Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making A Backup Disc!!!

Making A Backup Disc!!!
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2001, 01:22 AM

OK, this might sound like a stupid question to some, but i NEED TO KNOW!!! About 6 months ago i had purchased a copy of Unreal Tournament for my iBook. Everything was going fine until last week when the drive refused to read the cd. There were a few scratches on the CD, and so i figured that i had just bumped that copy around sooo much that it wouldn't read anymore. Sooo, i went out and bought a Game Of The Year edition of the game. My question is, is there there any way to burn a backup of this CD, so that the mac recognizes it like it does the original, and can i do it without buying any new software? Thanks for all your help!!!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2001, 11:50 PM

You need Toast.

Disc Burner is just awful.

You can do a direct CD copy with that.

If you don't have an external burner (so, 2 drives), then you can make an image of the disc with Toast or whatever, then burn the image.

Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2001, 10:28 AM

If you need software to burn the cd, you can go to http://www.charismac.com . They have a demo of their software called Discribe. You are allowed 5 free burns and can do a direct cd to cd copy. It isn't a big download either. Hope this helps!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2001, 11:46 AM

Yes I've used Charismac for a couple years with mostly great results. Backup followup question: If I am about to upgrade my internal hard drive (cause I only have 6 G with my iMac), how do I do a full HD backup of my stuff? My CD-RW of course is limited to 650 MB per disk.
Is there a Smart Way about going about doing a complete backup?
thanks.

Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by junobear@mindspring.com:
<STRONG>Yes I've used Charismac for a couple years with mostly great results. Backup followup question: If I am about to upgrade my internal hard drive (cause I only have 6 G with my iMac), how do I do a full HD backup of my stuff? My CD-RW of course is limited to 650 MB per disk.
Is there a Smart Way about going about doing a complete backup?
thanks.</STRONG>
Well, if you can get a hold of Retrospect, thats one easy way to do it. If not, you could always go the old fashioned way. When I backup, I just put my internet folder, apps folder, mp3 folder, and all my other folders on different cds. Then if I need it again, I can just drag the folder from the cd to the hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules