Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 8.6 vs. MacOS 9

MacOS 8.6 vs. MacOS 9
fzuhair
Jan 18, 2000, 06:05 AM

I have a PowerMac 8600/200 that I upgraded to a G3 400MHz using PowerLogix PowerForce G3 cards they have. I have also installed ATI Rage Orion 128 as well as an Adapter PowerDomain 2940UW card to install my Quantum Atlas 10K 9GB HDD. Now with all these parts added, my MacOS 8.6 worked perfectly and never been that fast and stable before. When I installed MacOS 9, Netscape kept on crashing every 5 minutes. I even pumped its memory requirement to 64MB and it's still crashing. I did try to format the whole HDD and make a clean new installation for MacOS 9 from the scratch, installed the OS9 compatible drivers for my G3 card and ATI card as well. Installed Netscape 4.7. And it's still crashing. Any ideas ? if you were wondering how much memory I have, it's 224MB
Thanks

Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2000, 05:35 AM

Personally... It tought 8.x was more stabel to. Others have had different experiences though.

Unless you really like some of OS 9's new features...feel free to downgrade. OS 9 is not as spectacular as Apple tells us it is. (that's why they sold less copies of OS 9 then they anticipated)

OS X is comming up at the end of the year... and that should be like a rock... no buts about it. Were talking UNIX here. So...it might be wise to stick out the wait on a lower OS version till the years end. unless you really like sherlock 2 and iTools.
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

fzuhair
Jan 21, 2000, 01:25 PM

Well, I do feel much better knowing that I'm not the only troubled one.

I think I'll take your advice, stick to 8.6 for the time being until MacOS X gets out. I just hope it will be compatible with all my new additions (e.g. G3 card, ATI Rage Orion, ...etc).

pogo
Jan 21, 2000, 03:27 PM

I agree with most of you. OS8.6 was the most stable version Apple ever released. I still regret I upgraded to OS9...It's slower, more bugs, and incompatible with many other apps.
Can't wait for OSX to come around.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2000, 05:48 PM

I've my version of Mac OS 9 running fast and stable. First thing I did was I installed Cassidy Greene's Speed Startup. that imporved opening windows quicker. I finally got Ram Doubler 9 and am no longer using Apple's VM. Also I have run Tech Tool Pro 2.5.3 and fixed anything it found. Took care of the crashes. Also ran Disk Warrior 2 and that also fixed some instabilities and made it a bit faster. now Mac OS 9 is very very Stable and fast for me.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2000, 05:59 PM

I loved 8.6, it was good to me... but OS 9 was a seamless transition for me and has been even more stable than the lovely and talented OS 8.6... speed has not been an issue, it performs as well or better in some ways than did 8.6.

Perfectly pleased. Well, nearly. There's always room for improvement.

Bring on X... those of you with upgrade cards in pre-G3 Macs, hold your breath... maybe yes, maybe no... I have read nothing definitive on this yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules