Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update 1.1 vs. Audio Update 1.2...

Software Update 1.1 vs. Audio Update 1.2...
Thread Tools
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2000, 12:48 PM
Just DAYS ago, I successfully managed to download GameSprockets 1.7.3 via Mac OS 9's "Software Update" control panel. The download of GameSprockets was my first successful one using the new "technology," and now I fear it will also be my last...

Upon attempting to download/ install Mac OS 9 Audio Update 1.2, the DOWNLOAD process seems to work just fine. However, when the progress bar reaches about HALF, and the actual INSTALLATION begins, I am presented with the dialog "Some of the selected software updates were not installed."

As I had only selected just the ONE software update "that being Audio Update 1.2," this meant that absolutely NOTHING at all was installed. I am getting this HIGHLY frustrating message on BOTH OF MY NEW MACS (iMac 350 AND iBook). What seems to be the problem?

Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2000, 12:54 PM
"Scott Boettcher (AKA 'slboett' here at MacNN forums-- moderator) found that, when trying to obtain Audio Update via the Software Update control panel, the download halted in midstream with an error that said "Some of the selected software updates were not installed." When I tried it, I got the exact same message. I then selected the "Update Now" button again, and it again indicated that I needed to download Audio Update 1.2. And again it failed. I checked my drive and all the 1.1 software was still there; nothing new had been installed.
I found a solution! I removed the Apple Audio Extension and USB Audio Extension files from my System Folder. When I then ran the Software Update control panel, it successfully installed the software. Oddly, when I looked at the two older extensions, only the Apple Audio file said that it was from Audio Update 1.1. The other said it was from "Mac OS CPU Software 2.0." Maybe this has something to do with it. Or maybe it is just another oddity in a day filled with such strangeness (see also the next item on Game Sprockets).
Other readers similarly solved this by restarting with just Mac OS 9 Base extensions installed and then running Software Update."

(from MacFixit)

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-20-2000).]
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2000, 01:39 PM
Wlonh, You are right. It worked. I set it ti mac OS 9 base and it updated fine
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
mfiske  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2000, 03:14 PM
Sure enough. Here's a tip: just remove the older (not by much though!) Audio Update extensions (Apple Audio Extension and USB Audio Extension) from your Extensions folder. That SHOULD save you the restart. Doing this worked just SWELL for me...

thanks wlonh!
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Meredith, NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2000, 08:59 AM
Just an FYI if it affects anyone else. (BTW, I did NOT have to remove the old extensions to get the new to install.)

The Audio Update 1.2 extension kept interrupting (crashing) my startup after being installed. (Identified by Conflict Catcher) Reordering the load order so that Audio Update 1.2 loaded before AIM extension (AOL instant messanger - 3rd party freeware) "fixed" the problem.
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Pasadena, CA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2000, 12:22 PM
Now that this piece has been written, maybe Apple will start feeling some heat.

Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Jenison, MI USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2000, 12:50 PM
I too had problems with the AutoUpdate in OS9 - so much so that I'm not likely to use it again until there is a significant improvement.

Personally, I find it easier to visit the Apple support page and use the pre-defined "Recent Releases" sort to find what I need than to do this to find what extensions are effected, pull them out of the folders, throw them away, then use the AutoUpdate feature.

There's been several times where I've read about a new update, used AutoUpdate and it says that I don't need it. When I look at my extensions, I see that I do (like the recent Sprockets update). I'll stick to the proven way until Apple does a better job with this new feature.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Farmington, CT
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2000, 08:32 PM
Alls you have to do is delete Audio Upadate 1.1 and it will update fine (when it is posted back on the servers).
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2