Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't delete file

Can't delete file
Sep 20, 2001, 05:53 AM

I run OS 9.1 on a Ti..
Some time ago I made a backup of my harddrive . Now I want to trash the backup - but there is one file in Modem Scripts [called: NTT-ME MN128????? 32K(PIAFS) that I can't delete.
When I want to empty the trash can I get an error code -127. IIf I want to get info on the file I can't because the file doens't exists!
I tried to delete it from Techtool 3.01 with no luck..If I try to delete the folder where it's placed it says a file was busy(open) - if I try just to delete the file I get an error...

How the hell can I get rid of that file!!!

thanx

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2001, 08:46 AM

First... start up from a CD, such as your Tech Tool Pro CD. This way you will be sure there are no hidden apps or system files using that file.

Then if you still can't delete the file the normal way, use Disk First aid to try and repair the disk. If that doesn't work, try using Tech Tool Pro. If that doesn't work, try using Norton. If that doesn't work, change the file to invisible using ResEdit and you can ignore it.
†ºn+°N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2001, 09:15 AM

Repair the disk with Disk First Aid.

Rename the file, then delete it.

If that doesn't help, use ResEdit to change the creator and type codes to something like "????/????" or even a known one, like "BOBO/CWWP" (AppleWorks WP doc); if the file type is BZY (busy), you can't delete it. It may have been open when you crashed. But that wouldn't cause a -127.

If renaming doesn't work, rebuild the disk with DiskWarrior.

Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 02:54 AM

Try these two troubleshooting steps.......

TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED...

1. Create a new folder on the Desk Top..(You don't have to name it )
2. Drag/Drop the problem file/document upon the created folder..
3. Create a text file/document (only 2 or 3 characters needed), "Save As" to the Desk Top, and name thefile/document the same as the problem file
4. Place the file/document in the folder that has the problem file.
5. Mac OS will not allow two files/documents with similar names in the same location.
6. Dialog will ask if you want to replace the older file. Click agree.
7. Delete folder and you are finished.........
•NOTE: You can use the same steps for a troublesome folder also......A folder cannot replace a file, nor can a file replace a folder..!!!!!!

ANOTHER WAY TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED......

1. Launch DropStuff & from the File menu, set preferences to "delete original after stuffing" and select destination "same as" original"........
2. Go to File menu , select "Stuff"........
3. In the save/open dialog that appears, hilite item, click on "Add" and click on "Stuff"
4. New dialog appears, "save" to Desk Top........
5. DropStuff creates a .SIT file on Desk Top and it deletes the original.......
6. Drag the stuffed items to the trash and empty it......
7. You are done.........It has worked for me many, many times......
•Don't forget to reset your Stuffit preferences back to where they were........
bigbiker

MacEgo  (op)
Sep 21, 2001, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the advices..I ended up wiping the entire disk in a moment of complete rage before I read the last post here!!!
Creating a new doc. with the same name seems like a great idea..should have tried that instead..but at least I got rid of it...

thanx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules