Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OSX or OS9????

OSX or OS9????
Banned
Jan 27, 2000, 02:15 AM

Hey everyone. Right now I have 8.6 something. I was thinking about upgrading to OS9, but seeing as how it is plagued with memory problems, as in creeping system memory, etc, I think its more of a downgrade. My PC friend who hates macs says that I should switch to OSX because he actually likes it, finds it stable, and other things. What are the disadvantages to running OSX?? Could anyone compare the two?
Ca$h

Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2000, 02:30 AM

on my Mac (beige rev2 G3 minitower) there is no difference whatsoever between MacOS 9 and 8.6 as regards 'memory creep', they both behaved the same.

the only notable difference between the two is that temp items thing... with MacOS 9 you no longer get the 'Rescued items' folder in the trash from time to time after a restart, now you must use some freeware to rid yourself of the useless temp items.

and i assume you mean OS X Server? if you have experience outside of MacOS and Windoze, i.e. Linux or Unix, you might like it but just hang on for MacOS X client.

Senior User
Jan 27, 2000, 10:01 AM

I use 9 at work and 8.6 at home. W/VM on and multiple users disabled, 9 doesnt take much more memory than 8.6. I notice memory leaks on bothe from time to time.

I plan to upgrade my home machine to 9, bu t Im in no rush. Ill probably wait for 9.0.1 to come out. Honestly, I dont think there are that many differances in day to day usage btwn the two.

Unless you have a server, I would no use OSX Server. It is a good system, but for day to day, OS9 may suit your needs better. Summers coming soon and the Mac will never be the same!

[This message has been edited by Keda (edited 01-27-2000).]

Senior User
Feb 1, 2000, 10:05 AM

I have had more problems with OS 9 than any other MacOS. Usually I would reformat my hard drive and install the OS, for a few reasons. But, since I had over three gigs of stuff to back up (mostly my mp3's) I didn't do it this time. I must admit I'm very dissappointed with OS 9, It hasn't been stable since I installed it. Multiple Users crashed half the time, and the OS currently takes up 60 Megs of memory. Why is this? If anyone has any ideas on the memory issue, please let me know. I thought I read somewhere that the Finder takes a certain percentage of your available memory, but this is insane.

------------------
Jonathan Haddad
jjhaddad@zoo.uvm.edu

Flurk
Feb 1, 2000, 12:58 PM

Os 8.6 is faster than OS 9.0 in CPU, graphics and FPU. OS 9.0 seems faster on internet and is perhaps a liitle bit more stable. (type 11 errors aren't fatal anymore.)
But in my opinion, 8.6 was a bigger improvement on 8.1 than 9.0 is compared with 8.6. Perhaps we'll have to wait for 9.1.
And 9.0 doesn't have protected memory.
But I don't like the cold aqua-look of OS X... I prefer Apple Platinum. Anyway, OS X will be a serious improvement, but I hope it's interface will not become much more like Windows... The new Finder looks like "My computer" in Windows. I don't like that...

Senior User
Feb 1, 2000, 07:34 PM

I definately don't like the "My Computer" look of the finder. Ideally MacOS X will come with themes supported, and Platinum would come with that, but I've read it's unlikely. I hope they keep site of the fact that the OS isn't just for people that "want to lick it." Some of us are future software developers, and depending on what OS X is like i might leave the programmng field altogether...

Forum Links
Forum Rules