Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > disk first aid can't fix

disk first aid can't fix
Apr 7, 2001, 08:52 PM

My computer crashed and it says the start up disk is faulty.When I run disk first aid it says it can't fix the problem. It says there is a "invalid PEOF,57523, 694. Any suggestions?
dr.dirt

Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2001, 09:42 PM

you have a number of options, including booting from a system CD and running disk first aid off that volume, booting from a disk repair program's CD like norton utlities, or connecting your machine to another mac in target disk mode and running a disk repair program from that machine.

-r.

Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2001, 11:30 PM

Norton is a good program, but IMHO DiskWarrior is just made for problems like you describe. Just be sure to boot from the DiskWarrior or Norton CD cause otherwise you can't repair it.

------------------
Klaatu borada nicto.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

dr.dirt  (op)
Apr 8, 2001, 01:04 AM

I found a disk that came with my iMac dv/se that is called Apple Hardware Test and I ran the short and extended tests provided on that disk and it passed every hardware test-no problems, yet Disc First Aid still says I have the problem with an "invalid PEOF" Should I try starting up from my Mac OS 9.0.4 original disc?
Thanks again!
Doc

------------------
dr.dirt
dr.dirt

Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 02:24 AM

It's a hardware related but not hardware as such problem--it's a problem in the software that manages the hardware. Again, DiskWarrior or TechTools Pro or Norton Utilities (my least favorite) will do the job you need to have done. You can start up from the OS CD and run Disk First Aid from it, but DFA will not fix the problem--almost a dead cert that it won't.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 03:12 AM

Hi dr.dirt,

PEOF stands of "Physical End Of File" and that error indicates that the directory on your hard disk has been damaged. The only way to fix it is either by using a third party disk utility (such as Alsoft's "DiskWarrior") or reformatting the disk. Reading Apple's TIL #16231 might be helpful.

bottles

[This message has been edited by bottles (edited 04-08-2001).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 04:11 AM

Neither Norton or Techtool will fix that problem. The only application you can use for an Invalid PEOF is Diskwarrior.

It saved my hard drive once. Completely worth the $80 investment.

------------------
Trevor Kayashin
-> PowerBook 2001 <-
Trevor Kayashin
-> PowerBook 2001 <-

Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2001, 06:44 AM

Yoyo's right - DiskWarrior will laugh at this little problem before it squashes it.

Dunno 'bout Norton and TechTool - to me Norton is just... untrustworthy. I don't like it. And TechTool... doesn't seem to do much. And I don't like the interface.

Use DiskWarrior if possible.

------------------

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2001, 10:13 AM

my problem is that neither disk warrior, norton, software restore or software install work when starting from disk "holding down c" the programs are starting and the CD loads but no icon appears I have tried the hard reset at the back (pismo G3 400) the ctrl apple power reset, the ctrl apple p and r reset I need my computer back help
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Rhyd
Apr 9, 2001, 11:17 AM

Try holding down the option key when starting the computer - with the Disk Warrior cd in the tray. That should bring up the blue screen with the disks available. Be certain that the Disk Warrior cd is the current version. I agree with those who have said that Disk Warrior is your only real option to correct the problem.

dr.dirt  (op)
Apr 9, 2001, 12:34 PM

I ordered Disk Warrior yesterday-I'll let you know if it works.
Thanks again for the help.
Doc

------------------
dr.dirt
dr.dirt

dr.dirt  (op)
Apr 13, 2001, 01:41 AM

I ran the Disk Warrior as you suggested and it fixed my problem-thanks to all who helped. I ran Disk First Aid again and everything is clean. This MacNN forum has been my most valuable asset to solve problems or answer questions. Thanks again!
Doc

------------------
dr.dirt
dr.dirt

Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 01:28 AM

Good news

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules