Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiuser, AOL, Kidsafe conflict

Multiuser, AOL, Kidsafe conflict
Feb 6, 2000, 03:50 PM

In Mac OS9 I have a conflict between any multiuser environment except the owner, between kidsafe (enabled for the user) and America OnLine (AOL). My AOL folder is in the Application support folder as it should be so that it launches OK, but it WILL NOT make a TCP/IP connection to AOL. In the owner's environment with the same startup set, no problems. The same thing occurs if one uses Claris Emailer 2.0v3 to access mail from an AOL account. It times out and never logs on, but again in the owner's environment with the same startup set, not a problem.

Conflict Catcher has identified Kidsafe as the culprit (the only culprit) and indeed it is correct. I don't know how (or if) there is a way at the kidsafe website to trouble shoot this issue via granting access privledges as this is not a web URL or chat or game issue.

I can't believe that I'm the only owner with multiple users that makes TCP/IP connections to log onto AOL, so is there an answer to my dilemma? How about the emailer one as it won't log onto AOLs mail server eithe?

Please feel free to email me directly. There must be other users with AOL accounts, kidsafe installed and active and multiusers turned on who make TCP/IP connections to AOL rather than dial up connections, aren't there?

Frustrated,
SH

shorton  (op)
Feb 6, 2000, 10:54 PM

Duh!!! I have my own answer to this one. I would have deleted the post if I could have, but perhaps this will prevent someone else from wasting as much time as I did.

Ther IS a way at the kidsafe website to edit the users and allow access to email (and other internet items) that "fixed" my problem with Claris Emailer and AOL. Kidsafe was working as it should, but giving me no feedback that it was the "thing" preventing these connections from occuring.

Ah well, one problem solved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules