Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Chop Up Big Files

Chop Up Big Files
Apr 16, 2001, 03:59 PM

I have a large iMovie (11 gigs) and I was wondering how I could chop it up into 650mb chunks (for cd's). Kinda like the 9.1 update from Apple. Anyone know?

-bonk
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 04:08 PM

There used to be a program called DiskDoubler that would let you chop up large files in pieces and reattach them when you wanted them back together, but I'm unsure if it will function under OS 9.1

Yoshimitsu
Apr 16, 2001, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by bonk:
I have a large iMovie (11 gigs) and I was wondering how I could chop it up into 650mb chunks (for cd's). Kinda like the 9.1 update from Apple. Anyone know?

-bonk
use stuffit. it can make chunks of data any size you want.

rael@lycosmail.com
Apr 16, 2001, 05:04 PM

Go to:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Installer_SDK/Installer_SDK_1.2.4/macbinary-segments/

and dpwnload the installer sdk. It'll take a little while to download, but it is the only place I know of to get the scripts you need for Disk Copy. After it downloads, start up Disk Copy, and create a disk image big enough for your movie. Copy it into that "Disk" and then unmount it. Go back to Disk Copy and go to the scripts menu. Pick Segment Image and then specify by size, putting in the segment size you want. Then you can just use the images to create your CD's. I just hope you have enough space for all that... Good luck! You can e-mail me if you have any q's.

rael@lycosmail.com

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2001, 05:17 PM

you could simply use "Stuffit DropSegment", part of Suffit Deluxe package. To do this, use the programs preferences to set how big you want the chunks to be, then drop your 11GB file on it.

------------------

Rolf Howarth
Apr 16, 2001, 05:43 PM

Take a look at CatDV (http://www.catdv.com), that will split DV files up on scene boundaries. However, if you're talking about putting movies on CDROM you should really compress them with a different codec such as Sorenson or Cinepak. Because of the size of the data the only medium it makes sense to archive DV to is a DV tape.

bargles
Apr 16, 2001, 09:30 PM

go to http://members.nbci.com/bargy there is a program i made called filechop..it will do exactly that.

MrGus
Apr 17, 2001, 01:59 AM

If you're using Mac OS X, from the terminal command-line, type:

$ split -b 650m /path/to/bigfile.mov bigfile.mov.part.

This will create as many files as you need from /path/to/bigfile.mov, each with prefix "bigfile.mov.part" (suffixes aa, ab, ac, ad, ... etc. -- stupid, I agree, but that's how it works).

You can drag-and-drop files from the Finder to Terminal.app to get full path names, saving you some typing.

For more info about "split", type "man split" on the command-line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules