Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Remote Access problem

Remote Access problem
RedJack
Apr 17, 2001, 05:29 AM

OK, for reasons I won't go in here, I had to reformat my HD, and reinstall a lot of things, including my OS. Having gotten all that done, including reinstalling OS 9.1 and getting TCP/IP settings, everything was good, in fact, my connection was more reliable than ever. Then, IE locked up my iBook. Nothing new, but when I rebooted I was informed that my internet preference file was corrupted so it would be trashed. Ever since that, I no longer have a reliable connection, and I doubt that the connection speed indicated is accurate, as 49.3 is a consistent speed, yet once again, I show 50.6

In a nutshell, how do I fix this? I did get a network error dialogue, but I'm not sure ifn that was from the browser or the OS as I dismissed without thinking and before I checked. I figure there's a corrupted preference file or a missing setting somewhere, but I certainly can't find it.

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 06:24 AM

Just reset all the things internet related.Your modem script your TCP/IP connection and the internet preferences.This will definetely solve th problem.

RedJack
Apr 17, 2001, 09:38 PM

OK, stupid question time, how do I do that? Toss a few preference files(which ones?), or...?

Apr 17, 2001, 10:39 PM

Make sure you record all your settings before you do this.

Trash the following files:

Macintosh HD: System Folder: "Mac TCP DNR" (It's a file, not a folder, trash it)
Macintosh HD: System Folder: Preferences: "Remote Access" (It's a folder, trash the whole thing)
Macintosh HD: System Folder: Preferences: "TCP/IP Preferences" (It's a file, not a folder, trash it)
Macintosh HD: System Folder: Preferences: "Modem Preferences" (It's a file, not a folder, trash it)

Then go into the following Control panels and re-configure everything:
TCP/IP
Modem
Remote Access

That usually solves it.

-Ybot

Forum Links
Forum Rules