Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Weird Norton Antivirus behavior

Weird Norton Antivirus behavior
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 12:12 PM

Anybody notice NA start an unscheduled disk scan and then immediately crash the computer at the end of the scan? This happens occasionally to me on 2 different computers so far. Does anybody else out there observe this behavior? What could be the cause?
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2001, 09:19 PM

NAV bad. I mean how many viruses are there in the world for mac. I have been using the Mac for 14 years and have never had a virus. Hell, I've never seen one on a PC. NAV and McAffe and all the others are just extraneous extensions that can crash your machine.

------------------
Get a new outlook on tech support at Gibsonhax0r.net

Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2001, 04:09 PM

If you use floppies or zip disks that have had unprotected intercourse with labs, in schools or elsewhere, an antivirus app is essential. NAV is more instrusive than other antivirus apps, but it's also pretty thorough. In fact, I feel pretty uneasy because I'm running X and have no antivirus protection.

------------------
Es ist der Geist, der sich den Körper baut.--Goethe
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2001, 04:38 PM

I still don't see the need for an antivirus program. I have worked for Apple, Schools and now with the largest ISP in my town and have yet to run across a virus. Everytime I have encountered a customer who thought he had a virus, it ended up just having a system conflict. However, I do forsee issues with MacOS X because there are already more viruses for BSD and therefore a greater potential for X. With common sense it is hard to contract a mac virus and frankly the only time I have found Mac Viruses have been when I actually went looking for them.

------------------

Senior User
Apr 29, 2001, 07:51 PM

The only viruses i've ever had in my 13 or so years have been harmless desktop viruses on floppies for my Mac Plus.

but i have norton antivirus on my imac.
I dont have it scheduled or anything, that's just bloody annoying. and buggy. I think it has an extension (?), anyway, if it has, i've disabled it.
i run it once a month, probably less.

but i figure with my luck, the day i take it off, i'll get a bloody virus.
so it can just stay there.

-docwest

Forum Links
Forum Rules