Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to make iTunes play straming audio?

How to make iTunes play straming audio?
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2001, 09:32 PM

I'm using iCab, and when I try to listen to some music from MP3.com I'm beign sent back to the main MP3.com page... is iTunes problem or iCab?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Admin Emeritus
Jan 19, 2001, 10:35 PM

I don't know, but if you know the exact URL of the stream then you can fire up iTunes, and then select Advanced > Open Stream... and then paste in the URL.

That might work.

Also, in iTunes Preferences you should set iTunes for Internet Music Playback (there's a "set" button -- click it).

good luck

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2001, 06:13 AM

Humm, I already set iTunes to play streams... I think the problem is in iCab... I'm goin' to install MSIE just to check this point! Thanx!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I don't know, but if you know the exact URL of the stream then you can fire up iTunes, and then select Advanced > Open Stream... and then paste in the URL.

That might work.

Also, in iTunes Preferences you should set iTunes for Internet Music Playback (there's a "set" button -- click it).

good luck
I can't seem to find the setting in iTunes for Internet Music Playback in the preferences window...

Oops! I just found it. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by tioga (edited 01-20-2001).]

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2001, 06:43 PM

Another way to just check if iTunes is properly configured to play internet streams as all is to just look in the main iTunes window for Radio Tuner. There are quite a few built in presets for streaming MP3 internet radio stations. Test one of those and see if the music plays properly. Obviously you have to have an active internet connection first, but all you should have to do is double click on a station to have it play (you sometimes have to try several stations before you can connect to their server if the internet is busy that day).

Forum Links
Forum Rules