Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes & CDDB

iTunes & CDDB
sascha
Jan 22, 2001, 11:08 AM

Hello all!

I only just now got to check out iTunes. Wow, it really rocks, it rolls, and it does the twist again! :-)

One thing I noticed though is the use of the CDDB system. Not only that this is quite disrespected by the OS communities, it also has serious flaws in terms of internationalisation, or even in cross-platform handling of the song names.

I have an extensive collection of what many people call "World Music" (I don't like the term) and I found that it's not even save to use any of the Hi-Byte Characters (ascii>127) savely. Not to mention Greek, Russian, Hebrew or Arabic/Persian song names.

And this while the MacOS would handle these cases at ease. Even the good ol' "CD Audio Player" is more flexible than CDDB.

I would suggest that Apple uses it's own CD-Information Database which allows to store these information in a more Mac-like way.

Greetings

/sascha

Admin Emeritus
Jan 23, 2001, 08:05 PM

CDDB is the biggest database in the world. It would be foolish and presumptuous of Apple to think that they could start a new one that would rival CDDB's size.

You can get *anything* on CDDB. It's cross-platform and pretty much standard for CD lookup. Apple has licensed the technology from them for 5 years for use in their OS -- read: OS X will automatically look up CD names upon inserting an audio CD.

While many people have gripes about the CDDB and yours are important gripes too, I really can't disagree with Apple on this one -- it was the only smart decision for them.

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2001, 09:03 AM

I can't get CDDB to work in iTunes, it works fine in Toast.

Perhaps 'cause i'm using the UK version of OS 9.1
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Senior User
Jan 25, 2001, 11:13 AM

Penfold,

just managed to get iTunes to query CDDB here. I'm running the International English (UK) version of 9.1 too.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2001, 12:27 PM

bizarre! So have I - wonder what it was last week.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

sascha
Feb 2, 2001, 10:36 AM

Hello all,

sorry for the late reply. I was off for a few days.

I'm not talking about "competing" with CDDB, but rather adding some kind of "proxy server" to it. All Database additions and corrections would first go to Apple's server, where they are stored in a more "Mac-Like" way, if you look up a CD, it would first hand out the infos from Apple's DB, and only if there is no good quality response available, it would fall back to CDDB.

CDDB's Database - or maybe the clients, I don't know - do *not* support internationalisation. You might get along with Britney Spears songs, but if you have song titles with diacritics, or even non-latin characters, you only get crap.

Greetings

/sascha

Forum Links
Forum Rules