Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Screen Redraw Problems

Screen Redraw Problems
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2000, 05:22 PM

I seem to be having irritating problems with screen redraws on my iMac DV SE (the older one) and MacOS 9. It manifests primarily in AOL and other online apps (AIM, IE), but I think that's mostly cos that's where I spend most of my time!

Basically, things (including applications launching!) seem to be waiting for the system to redraw the contents of windows, etc... and these redraws are suddenly proceeding at a snail's pace, thus slowing EVERYTHING down to a glacial rate.

Any thoughts from anyone as to what might be the villain in this case, and (more importantly), what might be a possible remedy?

I was told that Norton Utilities might cause this, but since I don't have NU installed on my HD (I usually launch from the CD), this can't be the culprit.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Darren

Administrator
Oct 11, 2000, 01:56 AM

Launching from the CD will make for a very slow system anyway. And the CD may not have the video acceleration extensions active. Try booting from your HD, and run Software Update to make sure you have the most recent video acceleration.

Orpheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2000, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
Launching from the CD will make for a very slow system anyway. And the CD may not have the video acceleration extensions active. Try booting from your HD, and run Software Update to make sure you have the most recent video acceleration.
I'm not sure I follow you here. I am NOT noticing this screen redraw problem when launching from the Norton CD - I was merely mentioning that some miswritten Norton extension couldn't be the villain because I don't have it installed on my hard drive, and thus there are no Norton-related extensions in my System Folder.

No, the problem seems to be something which has progressed over time, and which persists despite my having recently trashed Finder Prefs, rebuilt desktop, zapped PRAM and reinstalling OS 9 (but not a clean reinstall on a freshly-erased drive). The latest manifestation was my surfing the Web in the AOL browser (my bad, I know) and launching AIM from its menu bar "Sign On" option, and watching as nothing happened for something akin to five minutes.. I was able to continue to surf the Web (albeit at my new slow-screen-redraw pace, in which browser windows sit as empty white windows for half a minute in most cases before firing up), and when AIM finally decided to kick in five minutes later, I really had to wonder.

I am thinking that I may have to back up and do a nice clean slate on the OS, but am hoping that someone has a notion about possible reasons for this strange behavior before I do so. The Finder is nice and quick most of the time, but AOL, IE and AIM are all affected by this. Wondering, wondering...

Thanks again!

Darren

Administrator
Oct 11, 2000, 11:31 PM

Orpheus/Darren,

"I don't have NU installed on my HD (I usually launch from the CD)"
From your first post it kind of sounded like you usually launch your system from CD, a rather strange and slow way to use your Mac everyday. Sorry, of course you only meant that you usually launch Norton from CD.

Upon rereading, this sounds more like an internet connection speed problem. You might pop up Remote Access and check the connect speed. You could also open the Modem Control Panel and see what modem script is being used. If the Modem prefs are corrupted, you could be using a 1200 baud script instead of a 33K or 56K script.

A way to check this is to launch a non-internet application and leave it up. The next time you are waiting on screen redraws, try to get to the non-internet app and let the browser or AOL redraw in the background. I do not know if AOL or IE will let you jump apps while a page is loading, but Netscape and iCab do. You should be able to jump into the non-internet app and see if it is running at full speed.

If you cannot jump apps until the page has been redrawn, you can cheat a little to work around it. Load a page that redirects you to a newer page. Try http://www.setiathome.com This will load, then redirect you to the correct address for SETI@home. You should be able to click across to the non-internet app before the second page starts loading, and check speed while the browser window is being redrawn.

Also, try downloading a file and check the speed. Try a 1600 x 1200 jpeg from MacDesktops, and use a stopwatch. Afterwards, check the file size. (FileSize KB)/(DownloadTime Sec) = KB/sec. For an internal Apple 56K connection, you should see 3-5 KB/sec, depending on such things as server load and the quality of your phone line.

Oh, to do a speed test the easy way, just go to http://www.mac56ktest.com

BTW: This all assumes you connect via your iMac's internal 56K modem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules