Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Reformatting HDD to HFS+

Reformatting HDD to HFS+
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2000, 12:05 AM

I've got a B&W G3 with two Maxtor hard drives. The master drive is formatted in HFS Standard, while the slave drive is HFS+. I'm going to reformat the master in HFS+ using Apple's Drive Setup utility. To back up the master drive I simply drag-copied everything to the slave drive. It's all there: everything checks out by size so I'm confident I have it all. How could I miss? Just drag each file to the second drive, right? When the unit is reformatted in HFS+ I should be able to simply drag everything back to the master drive. That's the plan, anyway. Does anybody see something wrong? Have I missed something and am I about to really screw the pooch? Guess I'm just looking for a little confirmation before nuke my stuff into oblivion.

Thanks,
Bob

P.S.-- With over a hundred posts to this forum you might think I really know my stuff. You'd be wrong.
------------------
"There is no spoon."

[This message has been edited by rambo47 (edited 10-12-2000).]

Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2000, 12:16 AM

That's exactly what I did when I partitioned my iMac's hard drive (except the transfer was to another networked Mac for temp. storage).

After partitiong and moving it all back, everything worked fine except for all my aliases, which were all pointing to "Macintosh HD" when the OS 9 partition was renamed to "Mac OS 9." So don't change that name!

Hope it works for you too

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2000, 12:18 AM

Heh, you'd think I knew my stuff with 470 posts, but I'm still clueless when it comes to many things
Be happy.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2000, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! Everything worked like a charm. My desktip aliases for things like QuickTime and Palm HotSync were gone, but that's really it. Took all of about 30 seconds to make new ones. Seems like now that I have HFS+ as a format everything is running faster, and I'm a happy Mac guy.

------------------
"There is no spoon."

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2000, 09:16 AM

Now that you've gone HFS+ - this is an optimum time to optimize the
hard drive.

WDL

Forum Links
Forum Rules