Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Displaying Hebrew in browsers

Displaying Hebrew in browsers
MarkWKD
Oct 16, 2000, 09:28 AM

Has anyone experience with troubleshooting problems getting webpages to display in Hebrew? I have recently updated an iMac to 9.0.4 after previously running 8.5.1 with Hebrew language kit 1.01 but now cannot display or read Hebrew correctly in webpages. Using the Western (mac) character set gets the Hebrew displayed but in reverse. This is after trying both the HB Eilat and HB Hermon fonts.

I have tried the Text control panel and tried switching the preferences but to no avail.
I have all the relevant Hebrew keyboard layouts installed as well but don't think this affects the display of hebrew in a web page.

Please send all suggestions to markdonovan@mac.com

Many thanks!

Nauscicaa
Oct 17, 2000, 10:07 AM

In OS 9 the language kits are incorporated in the system you do not need an extra language kit anymore, which I think is absolutely great. The kits are not installed when you do a normal install of 9. To install the Hebrew language kit just use you OS 9 cd, run the installer, choose special installation and select only the language kit you need I am not sure what the folder is called where you select it but it's on the bottom of the row install option, you'd find it easily.

Once installed it should work fine. I don't know about Hebrew but for the Japanese I use it's perfect. In Netscape and iCab I have no problem with Japanese. (Don't know about IE, won't use it, but I guess it'll work too)

[This message has been edited by Nauscicaa (edited 10-17-2000).]

MarkWKD
Oct 17, 2000, 10:15 AM

OK, thanks but I already had installed the lang kit as part of the initial custom install.
What was strange was that the OS 9 lang kit did not install all of the previous fonts. Perhaps an oversight by Apple.

Anyone with specific experience w/ using Hebrew in IE are invited to please make suggestions.

JLK and CLK run fine with IE as they have their own specific character sets in both Netscape and IE. This is not the case for Hebrew unfortunately.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2000, 03:03 PM

you need to inst. a font called NaveInternet Normal.
Drop me a line and ill hook u up... I use to work for apple in Israel and i know the ins and outs of the heeb frobs...

beeH

beeh@mac.com
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2000, 03:48 AM

Yes, this worked! Many thanks to beeH.

NaveInternet Normal is the only font that displays the hebrew the right way round.

Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules