Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What App supplies Print preview--??

What App supplies Print preview--??
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2000, 12:59 AM

I want to buy another printer that is capable of providing >Print Prevue<......Iwas told buy a friend that the printer does not provide print prevue, it is the processor or the text editing application that provides the capablity........

CASE 1......My 6116PPC/OS8.6/HP860 using ClarisWorks/Simpletext does provide print preview.....
Case 2.....Same as above except I use Adobe StyleScript to replace HP 860 driver extension, no print preview.....
CASE 3.......My son's newiBook/OS8.6/HP900 series using CW/Simpletext does not provide print preview.....

Can I assume that my friend was wrong and that print preview is provided by the printer driver extension.....

Any idea out to solve my question..
bigbiker

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2000, 03:55 AM

I own a epson 860, and that has a print preview, through the driver
i also owned a stylus 700 and that had print preview, through the driver

------------------
-See Yea!

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2000, 05:52 AM

From my experience Print Preview availability is down to whether the application supports it/provides it.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2000, 10:44 AM

Microsoft (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer) applications support print preview, regardless of the print driver. HP print drivers (at least for the 1220C) support previews regardless of the application. In my experience, the Epson drivers (at least for the 600 and 1520) do not support print previews, unless the application provides that functionality. This information applies only to the specific applications and printers mentioned above. Other versions and models may behave differently.

Mark A Tilley
Oct 19, 2000, 07:28 AM

Yes that's right – some applications (MS Word and Excel come to mind) have a print preview function. These application specific functions usually give you additional features, such as viewing multiple pages on screen at once or the ability to drag column dividers, margin guides or page borders to adjust the layout or general appearance.

Some (I suspect most) printer drivers also have a print preview function (my Epson 1160 does) and these too can offer various useful options. My Epson’s print preview offers the ability to toggle each individual page either to print or not to print, has a hugely customisable watermark option, and has the usual "print in reverse order" or "odd or even" choices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules