Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I've been gone too long--help!

I've been gone too long--help!
c:\buyamac.now
Oct 18, 2000, 09:46 PM

Long accustomed to the world of windows' "uninstall" feature, I have found that my three year absense from the Mac world has made me quite forgetful.

Can anyone remind me of how to delete programmes? If I just throw the programme into the trash will that do it? What about all the files that come with it? I apologize, but this powerbook came with very little documentation.

I hope to work my way back to the level of Mac-proficiency I was at a years ago, but I have to do it one painful step at a time, it seems.

Thanks.
cbuyamac.now.

Senior User
Oct 18, 2000, 10:05 PM

Fear not. Some programs have their own uninstallers so you might start checking there. I find the easiest way to rid myself of unwanted programs is to index my hard drive with Sherlock and using same to delete any and all file associations. Sherlock, and it's indexing is highly under-rated and under-utilized in my opinion.

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

Administrator
Oct 18, 2000, 10:35 PM

If you have the original installer, then the Uninstall (under Custom Install) would be the quickest way, just like RWoelk says. If you do not have the installer:

Throwing out the application will technically do it. There will be a few files left over, but they will not mess up your system.

There will be a preference file with the same name as the application in System Folder/Preferences. Harmless, but you can throw it out to tidy up.

There may be extensions in the Extensions folder, these could waste processor time and make bootup take a bit longer. Use the Extension Control Panel, sort by "Package". This will show what installer installed each, look for the unwanted application name as the installer.

There may also be a file/folder in System Folder/Application Support. There are a few other places to check as well like Startup Items, Help, Control Strip Modules, Contextual Menu Items. Check them if you like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules