Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > type1&2 errors

type1&2 errors
student99
Oct 18, 2000, 11:15 PM

I'm using system 8.6, I've been getting type 1 and 2 errors. How can I avoid them?

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2000, 11:29 PM

Type 1 and 2 errors are the worst kind. They involve the bus (1) and the memory (2). They are always fatal.

ID=01 Bus Error
This means the computer tried to access memory that doesn't exist. You can get this error on almost any Macintosh. If one of these computers tried to access one or more bytes beyond the total number of bytes in RAM, you see a bus error. You should never see this error on a Macintosh Plus or SE, because address references that are out of bounds "roll over". This means if one of these computers tries to access one byte beyond the total bytes in RAM, it actually accesses the first byte in memory. If you see this error on a Macintosh Plus or SE, it's reporting the wrong error or having hardware problems.

ID=02 Address Error
The Motorola 68000 microprocessor can access memory in increments of one byte (8 bits), one word (16 bits), or one long word (32 bits). The microprocessor can access a byte of information at an odd or even memory address. But it must access a word or long word at an even memory address. So, when the microprocessor attempts to read or write a word or long word at an odd address, you see this error. Since that's a 50/50 proposition when running random code, this one shows up quite often.

The above taken from Apple Error Codes 98 by
Rustle Laidman
Email: Raymeow@aol.com http://members.aol.com/raymeow/

So, how do we avoid these? We use a utility (I Use TechTool Pro 3 to check the RAM in the machine. If all utilities check out, then check for outdated programs. I know Quark Xpress 3.30 generated type 2 errors like nobody's business under OS 7.5.5.

If you can give more specifics as to what is happening just before the errors, that might help us narrow it down.

student99
Oct 18, 2000, 11:33 PM

I have Tech Tools 2.5.5, will that work?

student99
Oct 18, 2000, 11:37 PM

I forgot to mention, it only happens when I use Quicktime player.

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2000, 02:09 PM

How much RAM have you got? I've got 705MB and I'm still looking for more. try increasing the allocated memory for QuickTime Player. Single-click on the QT Player icon (the original, not an alias) and go to the File menu at the top of the screen. Select "Get Info" and choose "Memory." I would double the recommended size. Change the Preferred Size first, then the Minimum Size. Simply close the window to save your changes. I do this with every application I install. Eliminates many memory related problems and speeds up some things. Here's what you should see:

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."

[This message has been edited by rambo47 (edited 10-19-2000).]

Hehe. A bit of trouble with the UBB Code.

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2000, 03:00 PM

Hey rambo, that's cool. Wish I knew how to do that.

By the way, you only have to let us know you edited once.

Just erase the "edited..." line each time you re-edit.

Then the rest of us only see the last one.

Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

student99
Oct 19, 2000, 11:11 PM

I've got 256mb, I doubled the prefered amount. Now I got a #10 error.

Forum Links
Forum Rules