Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Modem Updater 2.0 performance

Apple Modem Updater 2.0 performance
Senior User
Oct 17, 2000, 03:56 PM

Hello,
has anyone downloaded the new Apple Modem Updater 2.0 for their modem? how is is working now? does it improve the performance and/or conenction speed of the modem? Any other changes?
I use the internal modem in the iMac DV SE and with Apple's defualt V.90 scripts, i connect no faster than 26400. when i use the other Apple supplied V.34 script, i connect at 28800. I did eventually find a script that somehow allowed me to connect at 49333, which is acceptable, but my modem conencting isn't very stable.

thanks
Death To Extremists!

Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2000, 06:08 PM

The connection speed and the download speed can be two different things. Also some scritps will report a high connection speed when it's not the case. Like those who connect at 56K all the time. Yea right.

I'll do a before and after speed test and see what the update does for me. I doubt it'll help me 'cause I dial into a modem pool that's less than a mile away from me and get good connections each time.

Oct 19, 2000, 09:41 AM

Transferring to the Mac OS Forum.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2000, 08:12 PM

After installing the Modem, v2,0 update. Which went without difficulty. I could not detect any difference in the performance of the Modem, before and/or after. However, when I went to the Apple System Profiler, I was struck by how fast the profiler loaded. It loaded ar least 20-30 seconds faster than previously. I cannot explain the relationship between a modem and an application like the profiler. In any event, the installation went withou diffficulty and for better or worse, we go on to wait for OS 9.1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules