Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Psychedelic screen saver/wave generator?

Psychedelic screen saver/wave generator?
Phaedrus
Jan 25, 2001, 01:59 AM

I've been playing with Pixeltoy recently, and I'm looking for something a bit better. Pixeltoy claims to generate images based on the rhythm and notes of the music being played, but I've seen other programs of this type that do it better. Plus, pixeltoy seems awfully slow on my G4 400 w/ 384MB RAM (VM off). c'mon, flex that Altivec! It's got some beautiful patterns but I'm looking for somthing a bit more awe-inspireing.

Does anyone know of any comparable products that are available for the mac? Thanks for any suggestions.

Senior User
Jan 25, 2001, 09:39 AM

Phaedrus: I know just the program. And it works a hell of a lot better than Pixel Toy. It's very basic. But it's a great program. Enjoy!
www.afn.org/~cthugha/archives.html#powermac

Donna Buffalo
Jan 25, 2001, 10:06 AM

Ya Ctugha rules. Easy to use. Just start a CD or MP3 and start Ctugha. Get a list of keyboard commands if you are a micro manager other wise just sit back and enjoy. I run it on G3 with standard setup. Cool colors.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2001, 06:06 PM

Or you could press your monitor degauss button, wait five minutes, press it again, and repeat. This is kinda psychadelic

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2001, 10:49 PM

G-Force!!!!! A plugin for SoundJam, Audion2, and most other MP3 players, also a standalone app!! it rocks!!! try it, it's free and truley unbelievably fasdt on a powerbook g3/333

get it at

http://55ware.audiogalaxy.com/

Phaedrus
Jan 29, 2001, 12:26 AM

Oh my Gawd, G-Force ROCKS! This is the coolest free program I've ever used!

I cannot believe how cool this program is...A druggie friend of mine came over and after a hit he watched the screen for something like a couple hours...I had to lure him away with some ice cream!

What's even cooler is that it works with line-in. I hooked my guitar up to my mac and in a few minutes I had G-Force going to my own playing! How cool! This program makes me want to give its creator a donation. I'm still reeling over the coolness of G-Force.

Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2001, 03:19 AM

Is there a seperate app version of G-Force like there is WhiteCap?
And is there a way to get WhiteCap app to show the sounds being played currently?
It only lets me use sound in and all that
And CD... etc...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 01-29-2001).]

Senior User
Jan 29, 2001, 08:54 AM

I didn't find a stand alone version of G-force? And I don't use SoundJam or anything so I could not use it. But I tried the Stand alone version of White-Cap and thought it was pretty poor. It looks ok in a smallish window, but on the whole screen it ground down to a virtual halt! In comparison Cthuga runs extremely well. Cthuga even runs well on my old 8200. But i'm still keen to see what G-force can do.. I do like silly/trippy programs like these!

Jan 29, 2001, 10:16 AM

also check out Hexascope plugin for Soundjam. it has a lot of parameters to fool with, and you can put it on slideshow so that it makes up its own cool patterns, which are really trippy (and you can save and load your favorite ones). i veg out to it every now and then... Open GL Particles is pretty good too. The ArKaos Visualizer can make some mad visuals if you make the settings really fast, and you can load free images for it off of their website.
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~asp/hex2/index.html

http://www.arkaos.net/site/en/index.html

cipher - G-Force/WhiteCap info is available at http://www.55ware.com/index.html Apparently, the G-Force standalone app is located inside the extras folder that comes with the download.

[This message has been edited by bezoar (edited 01-29-2001).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 11:11 AM

iTunes?

Phaedrus
Jan 29, 2001, 07:48 PM

Yes, G-Force has a standalone unit. You need to use that if you want an audio source other than what Soundjam is using. It came with the download for me, version 2.0b8.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to try out the rest now.

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 08:36 PM

I think the standalone app for G-Force is located in the 'Extra's' folder if I remember right..and yes, i cannot belive this is freeeeeee!!! this guy deserves more than that!

Forum Links
Forum Rules