Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS Crashes with Apple+f4 key EVERYTIME!!!

OS Crashes with Apple+f4 key EVERYTIME!!!
Sepheroth
Oct 19, 2000, 05:13 PM

SO a Windows user happens to try shutting off one of the machines here in the store with the ALT F4 key combo on a MAC (Using Apple F4)and the OS crashes. Normally there is no need to use this button combo for Macs...so this is pretty new to me. Has anyone seen this happen before and know of a fix? It's not a major problem but I'd really like to shut the Wintel lovers up.

Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2000, 07:11 PM

...just tell your friends that option-F4 puts your mac into windows emulation mode!

-r.

Stan the man
Oct 19, 2000, 07:19 PM

Touché.....

Sepheroth
Oct 20, 2000, 01:17 PM

Has anyone else tried this on a current desktop model? I'd like to know if this is an isolated incedent or if it is an actually bug in the Mac OS.
I tried it on the laptop models we have on display and is doesn't happen...it must be related to the fact that the function key is also required to get to the function commands, otherwise all you do is lower the system volume.

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2000, 04:56 PM

i just hit option-F4 a bunch of times on my DV+ and nothing happened (which is a good thing) so i'd say it's a problem with your setup. check your extensions...

-r.

Sepheroth
Oct 20, 2000, 06:04 PM

I considered that, but I'm using the standard OS default set of extensions that ship 'on' when you crack open a new box. The only thing that is an unusual veriable that might not be on an end users machine is the Apple Product Demo. I'm thinkin' it's that.

Administrator
Oct 21, 2000, 04:36 AM

Try trashing the Hot Keys Preferences and the Keyboard Preferences files. Some joker (read Mac-hating peecee'er) may have mapped that key combo to something impossible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules