Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > imac bondi and MacOS X

imac bondi and MacOS X
Oct 19, 2000, 06:49 PM
I own a Bondi Imac (64 Ram / 6 Rom). Question: Will MacOS X run smoothly in such a computer ?

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2000, 08:22 PM
Yes, Mac OS X will run but you might want to consider upgrading the RAM to 128MB or 160MB. RAM prices have really dropped the past two months so you can find good RAm at less than one dollar per megabyte.
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2000, 12:43 PM
I do have MacOs X on my RevB Imac. It runs "OK" with 96 Mb. You definitely want to increase your amount of memory if you want to run the Preview Beta. Else cross your fingers and hope that Apple gurus will come up with a final version of the OSX which will run smoothly on 64 Mb, as promised by Steve.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2000, 12:57 PM
The final version will run with less memory...two reasons why it requires/suggested 128MB right now:

1. They have alot of debug code in place and have not had time to optimize the code yet. Its a beta, this is always the case.

2. They don't want "normal" users like your Grandma (no offense) who bought her iMac with 64MB to go out and get OS X and then have problems with it and bog down Apple with support. By saying it needs 128MB they exclude their entry systems and novice users and focus on the people who can really give feedback on the OS and not require alot of support for this half-finished OS.
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2000, 06:58 PM

I tired both Mac OS X DP 4 and the Public Beta on my iMac Rev.A and both versions were workable. Meanwhile, I was running the DP4 on the following cofig. back then, 96MB RAM, 6MB SGRAM, stock 4gig drive, and 56k PPP connection, it was slow esp. on the Classis enviornment. Now, I upgraded my iMac Rev.A to 256MB RAM (from Micron), 46.1GB 7200rpm ATA/100 (from Maxtor), Formac iProRAIDTV (no support in Mac OS X so far), and T1 connection. Installed the Public Beta and MacOS 9.0.4 on the same partition, and I was happy running the Public Beta than the DP4 (maybe that's the result of upgrading my iMac or Apple get the job done.) I suggest 96MB for the running just the MacOS X PB and not the Classic environment.

P.S. You can view my Mac OS X PB screenshot on this link:

"With technology in all corners, learning to unplug can be particularly difficult."

[This message has been edited by Kenneth (edited 10-21-2000).]
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2000, 01:32 PM
Forum Links
Forum Rules