Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > No DHCP renewals -Am i the only one in the world?!

No DHCP renewals -Am i the only one in the world?!
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2000, 01:59 PM

I have now gone thru all options there is i think.
I've talked to Apple Tech people, the ISP tech guys, the Game support guy, several different game forums, Apple Discussions etc...
And no one have been able to help me. Not a single person!!!

This all occurs when playing Unreal Tournament or Q3A on my mac, a G4 Cube same thing also happened on my 8600.

My connection is a nice 10mbit Ethernet direct to the web with DHCP addressing. The DHCP network have a 30 minutes lease time. After those 30 the MacOS will renew the lease for another 30 min. I will only get a renewed lease within the second quarter of the 30 min leasetime set on the network.

The problem starts as soon as I start UT or Q3A, when passing that 30 minute lease I don't get my IP renewed and then I get dropped from the game server! I doesnt matter if i'm playing or if UT is just running the the demo sequence. To avoid this I have to exit the full screen and go to the Finder other wise I will not get the lease to renew it self.

I have no problem what so ever with any other apps or services. I can run for a week and even reboot and still keep my IP, but I cant play on-line games under OS 9 without manually get the mac to renew the lease. I have even tried to uncheck the tcp/ip only when needed. it does not help me.

I've asked my ISP, and they say 'We don't have any problems or missconfigurations', the UT support guy from UK 'cant see that this would be a problem related to UT'... I asked the OS 9.0.4 forum and got a nice respond from Damon, MacOS Moderator, telling me that it couldnt be the mac because no other apps showed the symptoms...

So here I am. No ones problem. No way to solve it! It seems like i'm the only one in the whole universe with this problem. The thing is that the same problem has appeared for several of my friends including a friend that is an Apple tech guy. All with different machines, all with different isp's but the common ground is UT and DHCP!

When i play Q3A-port for OS X i dont have any problem at all.

Is the problem with the DHCP-implementation in MacOS 9, The ISP's config of the network or is it the way the game is handling the IP renewal? Is there a way to solve it?

ps. I played UT for two hoursyesterday under the Classic enviroment in OS X PB and i had no problem at all with the DHCP renewal!!! It seems like MacOS 9 cant handle a game in fullscreen with a direct connection to the web over ethernet with DHCP addressing?!

------------------
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.
Petter

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2000, 02:05 PM

Sounds like your ISP. Get a new one. sorry for being so blunt but that is the problem I'm sure.

Petter  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2000, 02:23 PM

Well i'd get a new one if only someone could offer me the service i have today... but they cant.

I have never given in for technology, and i will not do that today either.
I will win this battle! =)

------------------
Petter

Petter

Lunchbox
Oct 28, 2000, 06:50 PM

The reason for this is that games like Q3A and UT totally monopolize your system resources and don't give your system a chance to renew the DHCP lease. This is caused by OS9's coopertive multitasking. OSX uses pre-emptive multitasking, dividing up processor cycles the games and the system, giving it a chance to renew it's lease. Classic's TCP/IP is essentially a proxy that runs through OSX, which means it inherits both it's network settings and pre-emptive multitasking.

The only ways to fix this problem is to either get a static IP, find a new ISP with longer DHCP leases (30 minutes is quite short), press command-f periodically or get a router that handles DHCP leases itself. I have the Linksys Etherfast 4-port to connect my entire house and it is absolutely great. It automatically handles the DHCP info from one ip address from my ISP and assigns 225 of its own ips via DHCP. The downside is that there are sometimes some port problems when hosting games and the like.

[This message has been edited by Lunchbox (edited 10-28-2000).]

Petter  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2000, 06:22 PM

Lunchbox: Thanks!

You help me solve this thing!

When i browsed thru 'UnrealTournament.ini' i found a string in the file named 'OStime'
In my case and always after an install as it seems, this string was set to '0'.
That means no processor time for the OS. I put a nice 5 there instead and now my MacOS is given enough time to renew its lease!

Perhaps that will help you as well Lunchbox. =)

Now, onto the not so helpful Game Support Guy for not beeing able to help me and blaming the ISP instead. ;-)

Petter
Petter

Lunchbox
Oct 30, 2000, 12:27 AM

Woah, good catch with the OSTime thing. Adding some time to that will give my MP3 player a chance to switch tracks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules