Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Will Apple Charge for the 10.2 Upgrade?

Will Apple Charge for the 10.2 Upgrade?
Thread Tools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2002, 12:45 PM
 
I just purchased an iMac G4 800 and assume it will ship with 10.1.2 or 10.1.3 loaded. Is Apple likely to charge 10.1.3 users like myself for the 10.2 upgrade? I just don't know their history of upgrade pricing.

My concern is that if Apple charges for the upgrade, the $100 I save on the iMac now will be negated. I hear that 10.2 may be introduced at MWNY, and since I don't expect to see my iMac arrive for at least another month, it will be only about 2.5-3 months before MWNY. Since it is possible (I don't know how likely, though) that the iMacs may get a slight feature bump at that time, I may cancel my order and wait until then. I suppose I don't really need it right away.
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2002, 12:51 PM
 
Originally posted by motherscratcher:
<STRONG>I just purchased an iMac G4 800 and assume it will ship with 10.1.2 or 10.1.3 loaded. Is Apple likely to charge 10.1.3 users like myself for the 10.2 upgrade? I just don't know their history of upgrade pricing.

My concern is that if Apple charges for the upgrade, the $100 I save on the iMac now will be negated. I hear that 10.2 may be introduced at MWNY, and since I don't expect to see my iMac arrive for at least another month, it will be only about 2.5-3 months before MWNY. Since it is possible (I don't know how likely, though) that the iMacs may get a slight feature bump at that time, I may cancel my order and wait until then. I suppose I don't really need it right away.</STRONG>
OK, this is just guessing, so don't complain if I'm wrong, but this is how I would think:

* Most of Apple's product lines don't get a bump until at least 9 months after their introduction. An iMac bump at MWNT is thus somewhat unlikely, though not out of the question. Personally, I think that MWNY will be used for some serious updating of the Powermac line.

* While Apple might charge for the update, $100 is a bit extreme. I think some $20 charge like 10.1 is more likely.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston/Cambridge
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 23, 2002, 01:09 PM
 
There won't be a speed/feature bump to the iMac for MacWorld NY (Just my opinion). If anything Apple will keep the specs the same and reduce the price (maybe by $100?:-). OS 10.2 will likely follow the same upgrade scheme as 10.1. An upgrade CD will be available for free at the Apple Stores and other Apple retailers or you can send in one of the software coupons (the three proof of purchase stubs that came with the manuals) with $20 for a full install CD. Apple won't charge much for upgrades until X is seen as complete (I could be wrong). I wouldn't cancel the order since 10.2 wouldn't be a good reason and you might be paying $100 more for the same iMac at that time.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2